More money than sense?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimi43":23l54p9s said:
What's your eBay nickname Martin...I'm sure I must have! LOL!

Jimi
I believe it's very like his forum name - and I have bought from him too!

AndyT":36teg697 said:
jimi43":36teg697 said:
What's your eBay nickname Martin...I'm sure I must have! LOL!

Jimi
I believe it's very like his forum name - and I have bought from him too!

DOH! Silly me of course!!! Martin!

Yes...I have um...occasionally bought some things if I recall...and quality at that!!

Max Ott....I used that plane this very week to prep the panel for testing the panel plane on! And the gunstock chisel recently mentioned...along with a few of Dixon fame...spokeshaves that is...and um...yes...THAT Martin!! :oops:

Sorry! :mrgreen:

Jimi

Strange isn't it. You want to buy something second hand and there's a couple your watching. One is 99p start and the other a bit cheaper than it might go for. The 99p one fetches more every time.

Fat ferret":3bgu1kzr said:
Strange isn't it. You want to buy something second hand and there's a couple your watching. One is 99p start and the other a bit cheaper than it might go for. The 99p one fetches more every time.

A common ploy by auctions before the Internet existed...same theory though.......set the estimate to low levels to encourage attendance and bidders who, once in the bidding war often get auction fever and the hunt becomes more than the prize.

Most auction houses still do this and even seasoned bidders will fall foul to illogical bidding because the need to win kicks in.

There's no fun in Buy-It-Now which will fail if set too high as witnessed by perpetual re-listing of items which started at ridiculous prices. These same items often sell for MORE if listed again as 99p start because the fever takes over.

Other tips...set the auction to end at about 11:30pm on a Saturday night...this is called "alcohol induced stupid bidding"!! Works very well! :mrgreen:

Jimi

Yorkshire Sam":72xdpmf7 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-No-04-1-2-wide-bodied-smoothing-plane-4-1-2-/201185621778?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item2ed798f712

Can someone explain why anyone would pay this much for this plane? As far as I can say this is normal 1950 ish Record 4 1/2 or am I missing something?

No reasons I can think of. While we're on the subject, I can't think of any reasons to pay 200+ quid for Lie Nielsen planes either (hammer)

But people are free to pay whatever they think the good is worth.

Sam

AndyT":2cc8ivlo said:
If you are a well-heeled American woodworker, wanting to use hand tools, a Record 4 1/2 is not a very common plane, much rarer than a Stanley, so nice to have.
You want one - because you spend a lot of time reading blog posts by Paul Sellers, Chris Schwarz and other influential people saying that a good used plane is what you need.
You don't want a mucky old one where the dirt could conceal hidden defects so you go for one which has been cleaned up, from a seller with a huge track record of thousands of successful sales. You are still well under the price of a Lie Nielsen or Clifton.

We could even be helping form such opinions, with our enthusiastic descriptions of good old tools!

Must be the americans again :roll: Well healed americans don't want english record planes - at any price. If it's too good to be true... I'd say shill bids.

jimi43":2liyivf4 said:
Fat ferret":2liyivf4 said:
There's no fun in Buy-It-Now which will fail if set too high as witnessed by perpetual re-listing of items which started at ridiculous prices. These same items often sell for MORE if listed again as 99p start because the fever takes over.
Jimi

Buy it now for the most part is nothing more than fishing expeditions on the part of sellers. Not worth even opening the page to look.

RogerP":1n3w57lh said:

Having looked at this I see the same seller has two other Record 4 1/2 planes on the list posted in not dissimilar condition based on the descriptions. Both sold for less than half of plane OP pointed out, so simple case of two people getting over excited as far as I can see. As others have said, good luck to the seller, who looks to be working hard to run a successful eBay business.

Terry.

Had my eye on this, just for the most hideous Mr P logo I have ever seen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Brass-backe ... fresh=true

mr pppp.JPG

but it went for nearly three times the price I would have paid.

Mr Barnes I salute you.

Attachments

• mr pppp.JPG
    mr pppp.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 335
Back