More hard wax oil woes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjopicker

Reaction score
At the end of my first real project, and the hardwax oil is on.

Trouble is that the surface (although it looks great), is not nearly as smooth as it was before the oil. Is this normal ? I doubt that I've put too much on, as I wiped off all the excess. First coat was very slightly diluted with white spirit, second went on neat several days afterwards. The wood is ash, if that makes any difference.

It's still pretty smooth, so should I leave it as it is ? I'm miffed because I spent a long time sanding the wood super-smooth, but if there are limits to how smooth a HWO finish can be, I've wasted a lot of time !

Would a final light sanding (I have some 400 grit wet and dry??) spoil things ? Followed by an final coat, maybe ?

Very grateful for advice !

- Bernie

Did you remove all traces of dust with a tack cloth?

Did you de-nib any raised grain after the first coat?

No to the first question.... Not a tack cloth, but I did go over it with a hoover, and then rub it down with a cloth, slightly dampened with white spirit.

After the first coat, I gave it a very light sanding with something like 320 grit. I think this would count more as denibbing the HWO, rather than sanding out any raised grain.

And the solution ? Do I have to sand it right down and start again ?? (Please don't tell me that !!! :cry: )

It sounds like it might be atmospheric dust settling in the wet film of the finish- is it a large flat surface your trying to finish? is the environment your working in extremely clean and free of dust?
no you don’t have to start again- de-nib it with some 400 or 600grit then hoover it then use a tack cloth then re-apply the finish in a clean environment- if you've got an ambient air cleaner set that up an hour before you start and leave it running low in the background until the finish is cured.

That explanation sounds right... Yes, there are large flat surfaces. And no, the environment isn't in the slightest bit clean - it's my old workshop/garage out the back, with a nice 6 inch gap all round between the top of the walls and the leaky roof. This ventilation, however, isn't nearly enough to keep it "free of dust", (nor mice come to that). An ambient air cleaner would be a waste of time. You get the picture.

Will take it indoors, and then do as you say. Many thanks for your help !

- Bernie

Latest posts

Back