More carving practice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott,
Thank you very much.

I have quite a lot of Auriou (my better half bought me the set that Chris Pye recommends for lettering, for my birthday) and they are very good tools but they are around 50% more expensive than Pfeil and to my mind there is no difference in the basic quality of the tool, except possibly the Auriou are handled a little better - they also seem to have slightly bigger handles).

On the whole though, I think I prefer Pfeil. Both makes now sell most of their tools presharpened - which depending on your sharpening skill may be valued or not. However, I find that Pfeil have shaped their cutting edges slightly better than Auriou and this does save time in reshaping and sharpening a newly bought tool. Pfeil are cheaper too which is always welcome!

Thanks for the info Chris. That's a big help. I'll order up a couple of Pfeils and see what they're like (it's a pain having to order blind over the internet!)

Cheers
Scott

PS: Hanging out for more progress on the Durer. More power to your arm!

Back