Monitor recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new monitor for my PC. Ideally min of 19", flat screen that I can use as a monitor for my laptop as well should the need arise.

What can you recommend please. Don't want to go bananas on money - no more than £300 really.

I've recently bought an LG 19" panel for £200 and I'm very pleased with it. Model number is M1917TM - it's got speakers built in and a Digital input as well as D_Sub, so should be fairly future-proof. Recommended.

Ray.

i use a brand called benq, not to expensive not flashy but it works when i am doing cad work.

experience suggests that these days there are no such things as future proof computer bit. so go for the most simple, but top of the range

so for instance nvidia graphics cards with at least 128mb,or maybe 256/512.

you do not need the fastest chip on the main board, anything over a
2.5 either amd or intel is fine.

anyway tim, make sure you upgrade the video card as well as the monitor.

paul :wink:

At home I have an LG which is brilliant, not only is the image superb but the monitor even looks good.

At work I have two IIyama 19 inch monitors; these are also top class.

The other thing I can comment on about the IIyamas is their service. When one of mine developed a minor fault after 2 years and 9 months of hard work (office hours, on all day), I called their service department and had a replacement in 2 days; no questions, no hassle, just a new one.

I would recommend both brands without reservation.

Mike

Thanks for the advice guys. Are all these available from Ebuyer or does some one recommend another source?

Thanks

Tim,

Objectively, branding aside and excluding aestetics, I'd scrutinise the following characteristics before choosing a monitor,

Response time : 8ms is about the best and is good for video. 16ms is a good compromise. 25ms is very common for cheaper monitors but the picture can smear showing video.

Resolution: 1280x 1024 is very common but for a 19" screen size i'd personally prefer a native resolution of 1600 x 1200 for a crisp detailed picture (however this would have a significant impact on the price I suspect taking it out of the budget).

Contrast ratio: Anything over 500:1 is OK but over 700:1 helps the wow factor.

Brightness: Anything over 400 candela is outstanding and should be sunlight readable (350 would still look excellent). 250 is average for a budget monitor and comfortable viewing may be compromised in bright sun environment/ strong reflections.

To maximise the performance offered by your graphics card, consider a monitor with DVI input if your graphics card supports it.

The above parameters all come at a price, but I've noticed that many 'mid range' offerings (of which your budget includes) offer a good spec in 1 or 2 of these parameters. With the exception of response time which has more relevance for example to computer gaming, look for the best combination of the other three parameters within your budget.

IMHO, the brand name doesn't guarantee a certain level of performance or picture quality (reliability - maybe). Although having said that, me being involved with industrial LCD modules, several manufacturers stand out for performance - namely NEC first, then Sharp and possibly Hitachi. That doesn't necessarily translate across to the consumer market but of any of them NEC probably would and possibly Sharp.

cheers,

Ike

Time for my tuppenceworth. First off, I'd avoide eBuyer, as their prices arn't all that cheap if you look around, and their delivery is appaling (takes ages and costs the earth).

If it's just a cheap 19" you want, then you're probably best off with one of Dell's budget 19" monitors (E196FP). Less than two hundred quid, and unless I've missed something recantly, its difficult to find better for the money. But, like ike says, you'll only get 1280x1204 resolution (I say only, but unless you're into digital photograph or gaming in a big way it probalby wont matter). If you're feeling flush and do want 1600x1200 res, then take a look at the 2001FP, I have one and, even though the model is coming up on two years old now, I'm yet to see one thats better for the money (380 IIRC).

Just bought the Dell E196FP

Very pleased with it but I don't use it for games so can't comment on graphics

cost including 3year replacement service and carriage £222.25

Nigel

Back