mold on pearl glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - going more retro as every week passes. Got my glue kettle (Ebay) and gone back to pearl glue (from my school days) - mainly to lay some tricky oak burr veneer. I've noticed mold forming on the set glue in the pot. I have no way of really sealing the pot, I could cover it but it won't ever be air-tight. any neat fixes?... and does it actually matter - when I reheat will the mold just skim off??

smart tips greatly appreciated, thanks

I usually just skim off the scum that forms on the top when reheated, never had any problems so far.

No worries, and thanks for the wardrobe comment, they have just ordered a load more stuff too :D

Mould is normal. It is, after all, Old Food :)
Best not making up much more than you really need, though.

That reminds me. I have my grandad's kettle and I don't know where it is. I suspect I need to have Words with my mate Brian-next-door.

S

If I made up far too much hide glue I pour what's left on a tray and let it gel in a cool well ventilated place. Once rigid I chop up into bits then let it sit until bone dry usually under a fan until most of the water is gone.

Once you get to a certain water level it won't mould or rot and once dry again will be OK indefinitely.

I tend to make my own glue from dog chew treats and many hours of simmering are needed so I tend not to want to waste any!

Steve.

I always add some vitamin C, and at times some borax, to the pearl glue and keep it with open lid in the fridge. Thus, mould needs much more time to develope.

Regards, Philipp

Latest posts

Back