Coffee table and homemade milk/chalk paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddy Roxburgh

Established Member
Reaction score
My ex and her husband have just moved to a new house, so my daughter and I made a coffee table for a New years/house warming present. My daughter spends three days a week with me and four days with her Mum, we all get on pretty well.
The table has an oak top made from some English oak (well actually Welsh oak) that I had left over from a boat fit our I did last year. The leg frame assembly I made from some redwood which we later painted.
coffee table.jpg

I wanted Charlotte (our daughter) to be as involved as possible, but time was short so I made the components and Charlotte came to the dock with me and did the glue up. Plenty of fun hammering the mortises and tenons home while standing on my work bench. I planed the top after glue up and we took the lot back to my house for finishing. The top we finished with some quick dry poly. I wanted the leg frame assembly to be a chalk paint finish, however I left it a bit late to buy the paint, finding out I could only order it online and whilst researching I came across this post milk-paint-t16694.html Well Srit's post got me thinking and I decided we should make the paint. She loves making potions and all of this was done by her with my supervision After a bit more research I ditched the recipe from the thread in favour of the following.
Charlotte and her friend gently heated a litre of pasteurised skimmed milk and added half a cup of vinegar and put it in the airing cupboard for a couple of hours and let the curds and whey separate, apparently if you use curds you get a more mold resistant paint than just milk. She then poured the contents of the pan into a colander lined with cheese cloth. She rinsed the curds several times until the smell of vinegar was gone. In an old yogurt pot she weighed and ounce of hydrated lime and mixed it with a little water and then put the curds in the pot and mixed it well to form caesin (one annoying thing was I could only get 25KG of lime, so plenty left over for future projects). She then added some blue chalk powder (sold for refilling chalk lines), and mixed it until we liked the colour and painted three coats on the leg frame assembly.
charlotte painting table legs.jpg

Attachments

• charlotte painting table legs.jpg
    charlotte painting table legs.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 154
  • coffee table.jpg
    coffee table.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 154
What I like about this forum is the really cool stuff you can learn =D>

I had absolutely no reason to make this paint, other than I now want to and give it a try.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

Geoff, if you do decide to give it a go and you want some hydrated lime feel free to get a few ounces from me for free as I bought nearly 1000 times the amount I needed. . It was £9 for a 25KG sack so and ounce costs about 1 pence. Don't know where you are in London, but my dry dockis at Enfield Dock (near Enfield Island Village).
I am definitely going to make more and am interested in trying other pigments for a less chalky finish. The costs now I have bought the lime are only the skimmed milk, the pigment and the vinegar/lemon juice, so it should work out cheaper than the cheapest emulsion.
Paddy

This is great. What a cool way to spend time with your daughter. I hope mine will want to do something similar when she’s older!

Lovely table, informative and interesting info, great project with your lass Paddy. Proper Dad. Proper Gent. I hope you're well fella. All my best to you and all of yours for the new year especially young Charlotte.

Best regards as always. Every time I drive up the meridian way I wonder about popping in to say hello. Might just do it one day. ;)
Happy new year bud.
Chris

if you posted "samples" of lime to others on here I wonder how long it would be before plod knocked on the door enquiring about the white powder....

Chris, any time mate, give me a few minutes warning and I'll get the kettle on.
Flying haggis, that's a mix up you don't want to make, hydrated lime up your nose would definitely ruin Hogmanay.

Back