Moisture Meters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a good moisture meter, I've been looking at the Axminster MC6012 Digital Moisture Indicator that cost about £70.
Are they worth the money ?
Never really heard much about these gadgets so I'm wondering if they are a useful tool or just another gimmick.

Dean

Dean.
I've just recently bought the Axminster MD2G.P.477 in the new cat.
I thought i'd better as i'm doing all this drying wood out at the moment :roll:
I think it's the cheapest one they do.
It seems to work as i do get a high reading when i put it on wet timber and a low reading on dry timber. :!: :!:
How true or accurate it is,i don't know :? :? First time i've used one.
Paul.J

Dean,

depends on what you want to do with it.
When you use, dry or buy wood as boards, I think an elctro-magnetic wave meter is to be preferred. Especially when you want to measure the moisture content without damaging the wood.

When used for drying whole or rough sawn logs I guess a pin meter will do fine.

Personally I am happy with a simple Wagner meter of the first category.

Hans

Dean, don't forget there's a simple weigh to check whether a piece is suitably dry... record the start weight, put the piece in whatever drying environment you use, check the weight periodically. When the weight is the same over a period of about 2 weeks you can reckon the wood is as dry as its environment...

It's all in me head Pete... and before you ask, No! the tablets aren't working :lol: ...but I keep taking the pils anyway :wink:

Back