Moisture Content reader

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm getting a load of oak soon and normally I'd leave it in the house for a month to six weeks before using.

This time though I want to use it straight away if possible so I guess I should check its moisture content first.

Can anyone recomment a decent moisture content reader please?

Kind regards, Andrew

fobos8":3tyhhnaw said:
Hi all

I'm getting a load of oak soon and normally I'd leave it in the house for a month to six weeks before using.

This time though I want to use it straight away if possible so I guess I should check its moisture content first.

Can anyone recomment a decent moisture content reader please?

Kind regards, Andrew
I've never used one but I 'spose I ought to really. I tend to err on the side of caution though with all my timber and leave it somewhere moderately coolish for a few months. I think if you know how the timber has been kept for the last few years (or since it was seasoned) you could make a guess at whether or not it's fit for use straight away. If it's been stored outside in this damp weather (even if it was originally kilned) for the last few months (or even under cover outside) the MC will be higher than the 8%ish which is desirable for use inside. If it were me, I wouldn't take the chance...rough it out to size with a goodly allowance for machining and movement and then leave it in the house 'til the Spring when it ought to be just right - Rob

Back