Mobile speed Camera Vans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well of course you are going to have less injuries at 20mph. I think we should reduce it even further to 5mph

This is often done on private property such as car parks. Some people think speeding is OK as long as it's on public roads

This thread has gone too far now. Time for the Mods to apply the LOCKED option I think.

But before they do, a final word from me...

To you speed merchants..... I really don't give a damn if you kill yourselves with your over confidence in your driving abilities. This world is probably better off without you.

But if you take others with you in your futile quest to arrive 5 minutes early then I hope you rot in hell.

How do you become one of these super drivers? Is it just by self designation, because I'm a better driver than all of you.

If speed limits were changed to be more appropriate for the conditions etc (how would you legislate that?), as a super driver would I still be able to exceed the speed limit because I'm a better driver than every one else?

As a super driver, I think that I should get some sort of sticker to go in my rear window so that when I overtake someone they can see that they've been overtaken by a super driver and not someone who isn't able to follow the simple laws of the road, for it would be an easy mistake to make for all you other drivers who clearly aren't as good atdriving as I am.

Finial":33ni9sxx said:
.... One reason there are now so few pedestrians and bike riders on the road is the fact that drivers speed.

I don't really follow that line of reasoning. It is way too simplistic a view IMO. What roads? Roads in towns and cities have pavements. Are you talking rural roads? Plenty of people cycle, walk and ride horses round my way. Reason why people don't walk or cycle is that they are too damn lazy !

Finial":1n74z9e2 said:
I understand your point. But, and without any personal criticism, it isn't just you in your car exposed to the risk. Modern cars have all sorts of protection for the occupants, can stop quicker and so on. They feel safe to drive. That all encourages risk taking and faster driving. I ride a bike and know that doesn't feel safe. Thousands of bike riders (and pedestrians) are injured every year. I know what it feels like to be hit by a car and I don't like it. I ride defensively, but bad drivers object to that. I want bad driving firmly discouraged. Call it the nanny state if you like, but it sounds good to me. I wouldn't care about people driving fast if it was just them at risk. But it isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation

Thats an interesting link, Phill. I was intrigued to pick up reference to this study which seems to belie one line of reasoning adopted by some.

A 1994 study by Jeremy Jackson and Roger Blackman using a driving simulator, reported that increased speed limits and a reduction of speeding fines had significantly increased driving speed but resulted in no change in the accident frequency. It also showed that increased accident cost caused large and significant reductions in accident frequency but no change in speed choice. The abstract states that the results suggest that regulation of specific risky behaviors such as speed choice may have little influence on accident rates.[22]

RogerS":39niv3gr said:
Thats an interesting link, Phill. I was intrigued to pick up reference to this study which seems to belie one line of reasoning adopted by some.

A 1994 study by Jeremy Jackson and Roger Blackman using a driving simulator, reported that increased speed limits and a reduction of speeding fines had significantly increased driving speed but resulted in no change in the accident frequency. It also showed that increased accident cost caused large and significant reductions in accident frequency but no change in speed choice. The abstract states that the results suggest that regulation of specific risky behaviors such as speed choice may have little influence on accident rates.[22]
Obviously not a very good driving simulator then, as it contradicts all the evidence found in the real world.
Odd that Roger can't draw this obvious conclusion?

Unfortunately I live in the rough part of town, high density housing. We get boy racers tearing down the street. It really is incredibly frightening, especially since children regularly play on the streets. You can't possibly tell me that those idiots are just as safe travelling at 80 MPH as they are at 30 MPH. It doesn't matter how accomplished you are with the vehicle. You have less time to react if you are travelling at a much faster speed. Look at the 'official' braking distances at the various speeds - that tells you everything.

MMUK":1cgt0i0u said:
You're up early, did you wet the bed again?

That was a quick edit MMUK. You first typed something about Jacob being a troll.
How ironic.

MIGNAL":2b2odhuw said:
MMUK":2b2odhuw said:
You're up early, did you wet the bed again?

That was a quick edit MMUK. You first typed something about Jacob being a troll.
How ironic.

Yep it was quick wasn't it? I really should use the preview button before I post :mrgreen:

And yes, it looks like the troll has wet the bed again :lol:

Any one who thinks speeding is ok is a . in book ,what makes them think they have better reactions than the average person.

MMUK- You seem to have a personal dislike of Jacob (which you entitled to) but your personal insults towards him leave a very bad smell across the forum IMO.

clk230":2ealbga2 said:
MMUK- You seem to have a personal dislike of Jacob (which you entitled to) but your personal insults towards him leave a very bad smell across the forum IMO.

+1

I do not mind a bit of rough and tumble here - though I doubt if anyone will change their mind as a result of a 'discussion' like this. It is an interesting way for both sides to practice their arguments and sharpen their reasoning. Better than assuming that your own point of view is so obvious that it is unassailable. And it helps to keep some folk off the the streets (unless they are posting while driving).

The 'ad hominen' attacks are disappointing though, I wish we could live without them. They lower the tone and taint the forum.

(Couple of typos edited)

DrPhill":3iy2eqv1 said:
clk230":3iy2eqv1 said:

The 'ad hominen' attacks are disappointing though, I wish we could live without them. They lower the tone and taint the forum.

In that case maybe you should be directing your concerns to the instigator of these arguments then.

This has been going on a long time before I started posting on this forum and I gather that said person has been banned from pretty much every other forum. It's not hard to see why.

Sorry, I missed where Jacob attacked anyone personally rather than just their argument. What page was that on?

MMUK":3qfz57m8 said:
DrPhill":3qfz57m8 said:
clk230":3qfz57m8 said:

In that case maybe you should be directing your concerns to the instigator of these arguments then.

This has been going on a long time before I started posting on this forum and I gather that said person has been banned from pretty much every other forum. It's not hard to see why.

Quoting me like that has the unfortunate effect of making it look as if I were directing my comments to MMUK. I was trying to keep my tone neutral and my audience general, or before long this thread will degenerate (further?) into a 'he said/but he said' farce.

The best way to deal with 'ad hominem' attacks is to ignore them. They are, in a way, an admission of weakness in a position, because if the attacker thought their case was strong then they would continue to propose their case logically. A need to digress towards insult always looks, to me at least, like a retreat.

Back