Mixing Desk Console (2)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidE

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I made a mixing desk console last year, described in this thread. I finally got round to making it's smaller sibling out of European Oak for a different area.

You can see the story of it's construction from this

crw_20294_std.jpg

to this...
crw_20555_std.jpg

crw_20557_std.jpg

at the following webpage.
(I haven't posted all the photos in the thread to avoid it turning into a monster)

The Router Table made earlier in the year made the machining a lot more civilised as the table is actually flat and the Incra fence a dream to set.

The total construction time was around 11 days (broken up by various other things) The finish is a clear poly varnish - although I like Oil and wax due to its loaction I wanted a finish which would take potential coffee rings well and not require too much maintenance.

Cheers
David

Nicely Done David.

Followed your link to the WIP shots which are always good to see, thence to look at the rest of your site but alas none of your main menu links work ?

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike,

You're right none of the other links will work as the site is not finished, or indeed hardly started. The template for the photo gallery is borrowed from my other general site and alas contains the erroneous link. I never seem to find the time to catch up with my own web stuff as I admin some other sites... One day maybe :)

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers
David

David, that's a lovely piece of work. I really like the quatersawn oak - you've got some amazing boards there, much wider than I can get here in the South. Did you have to look very hard to get those? Eleven days - that's impressive too.

Thanks for posting

Ted

David, I missed this when you first posted it, lucky Ted posted else I would have missed it altogether, great job and a load of good photo's, not forgetting that marvelous router table :wink:

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your nice comments. I got the boards from British Hardwoods. The panels/table top are made up from 160mm wide boards. It didn't take much effort to find some boards - just had to watch out for knots at bad spacings. The lid was made from some 200mm boards (2nd visit and no 160mm available that time). Again they were easy to choose, although there were some more dubious boards lurking - which I guess was a function of the width. I was really lucky with the Rough Sawn boards I bought to do the structure, there were lots of meldullary rays showing. This was not down to any selection on my part it was what came off a pile.

Thanks Martin - I hope you've been able to use your table recently too. I actually cut blind some dovetails last week on it. I was amazed how accurate it was over 240mm wide boards. I watched the DVD the day before again. It's really helpful - apart from the finger wincing moments and the fact the narrator keeps saying "Your next project"

Cheers
David

Very nice work. You have indeed got some beautiful quarter-sawn Oak there, the medullary rays looks fantastic. To finish it in only eleven days is quite an achievement in itself! :shock: :)

The router tables looks good and I'm always pleased to see someone using hand tools at some point - looks like you have Clifton plane too! :shock: :D

OPJ":3dvenmki said:
Very nice work. You have indeed got some beautiful quarter-sawn Oak there, the medullary rays looks fantastic. To finish it in only eleven days is quite an achievement in itself! :shock: :)

The router tables looks good and I'm always pleased to see someone using hand tools at some point - looks like you have Clifton plane too! :shock: :D

Hi Olly,

Thanks for your kind comments. I should perhaps clarify that is 11 days of approx 9-10 hours in the workshop so let's say 110 hours. I didn't think it was that quick?

As with most projects a lot was done in the first 50 hours or so then it seemed to take for ever to do all the last bits etc.

Yes that is my lovely Clifton No. 7 - I do find it very enjoyable jointing boards by hand, especially when the grain makes the join disappear.

Cheers
David

Back