UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally decided it was time to sort out a decent shooting board for long mitres
It is made from beech which I have had for over 20 years and good quality ply
20200714_224159.jpg

For shooting I use either a Record No 6/7 or a low angle N062. As these are different widths I have one side dedicated to each . Mustnt swap side as the wider blade on the 6/7 cuts a very shallow rebate in the top guide rail and this would affect the angle slightly if I used the 62 on that side.
The block across between the 2 top rails slides and serves 2 purposes. It stabilises one rail against the other but can also be used to clamp the board being mitred. If I wanted to shoot a really long mitre the block can be removed
20200714_224413.jpg

Both top rails are securely screwed in place and can be adjusted by shimming off the fixed portion which allows for any loss of accuracy
20200714_224217.jpg

The board can be used left or right handed. There is a limitation as I can only shoot short lengths with the 62 as I left the plane support on the other side quite high. If its a problem I will trim it down

Attachments

woodhutt

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice one Hornbeam. I have been planning to make a 'donkey's ear' as my next jig but I can see definite advantages with your design over the conventional one.
Pete