mitre saw..the hunt continues.... Bosch GCM 8 SJL..?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevebod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

..still looking for a new mitre saw....limited budget but don't want to go "too" cheap...have started a list of likely candidates, and have come across the Bosch GCM 8...seems to offer the most bang for your buck in this pricerange...just wondered if anybody had one and could offer some feedback?

For the record I have looked at:-

DEWALT DW777 - no trenchcut
DWS773-GB - looks a possibility but does not have the "range" of the Bosh
Makita LS0714 190mm - looks OK but again smaller capacity than Bosh
Ryobi EMS254L - another contender...

many thanks

Dewalt every time for me, I have had the big 12" one and my dad purchased this one last year and loves it. He really looks into his purchases and after a lot of consideration went for the Dewalt.

I'd avoid the concept of getting more from your money by getting a tool with the most features. This rarely equates to real world use and often requires compromise. Get a machine that is solid in the key areas that you need a saw for.

In the price range you are looking at, I would go DeWalt - they are built like tanks and are generally quite precise.

I'd avoid the concept of getting more from your money by getting a tool with the most features. This rarely equates to real world use and often requires compromise. Get a machine that is solid in the key areas that you need a saw for.

In the price range you are looking at, I would go DeWalt - they are built like tanks and are generally quite precise.

What's your budget? I have the 12" Hitachi and am very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and thanks for the replies...looking to spend £250...give or take...would rather have "quality".....after my "Bosch" cordless drill purchase I did say I would not buy Bosh again...I had assumed "Bosch" meant quality...but the cordless drill I got is totally rubbish...very poor quality..obviously made from Chinese cheese.....ideally I would like to see before I buy. Its just finding somewhere that has the relevant ones in stock. I saw a "Clark (?I think) at a show recently..it looked OK but the 2 "runner bars" looked a bit thin, and the saw seemed to have a lot of movement at the end of its stroke. I will have a look at Hitachi as I they have not been on my radar up to now...

Many thanks to all

The 8" Hitachi is well within your budget, under £220 at FFX. If it's as good as the 12" then I doubt you'd be disappointed, but no laser it seems. Might have the 3 year warranty that Hitachi are giving now, worth checking out anyway. Model is C8FSE.

I have no idea how it compares to a Makita or the other usual suspects. I bought mine primarily because it was a 12" saw at under £500.

It's a little bit over your budget but the Makita LS1018 I have is excellent. Bob on accurate and loads of capacity (12"+ stroke and 4" depth). Built like the proverbial as well. I would echo the sentiments of others above in that with something like a SCMS more gadgetry does not equate to more real world usefulness. As an example my Makita has a very accurate laser line I spent at least 45 minutes calibrating to get it absolutely spot on, since which time I have never used it. I always bring the stationary saw down on to my cut line before making the cut. Takes about a second a cut. The things that I find really useful are things like a rock solid fence you can adjust which then won't work its way out of true, a large and solid table, clear angle detents, double bevel facility, being able to mitre at least 45 degrees both ways and adequate width and depth capacity for your needs. As ever it all depends on the kind of work you want it to do.

Good luck and tell us how you got on!

I agree 100% with Shed 9. Avoid the marketing gimmicks and get a saw that does the basics really well. Like Memzey I also line up the cut by applying stationary blade to the intended cut line. I have two chop saws only one of which has a laser that I never use, and I have never missed it one the other one that I have had 20 years (an Elu). For me I would want it to slide easily on the rails, no play at extreme pull (rigid, heavy duty rails and smooth action), and if it was my only saw I would want a minimum 4" depth of cut. Accurate and easy to adjust mitre settings.

Hi all and thanks for the input...The Makita does look a bit like the dogs dangleys....certainly will consider. Odd that its on Amazon for £750!!..toolsttore £350....perhaps need to search the corners of the piggy bank...

thanks for all the useful advice...must admit my "old" saw has a laser but have never used it....

I've got the Bosch one you've quoted, bought on a combo deal with the stand and then there was cashback from Bosch.

Delighted with it, solidly built, true and gives excellent results.

Stevebod":bgd8e65y said:
Hi all and thanks for the input...The Makita does look a bit like the dogs dangleys....certainly will consider. Odd that its on Amazon for £750!!..toolsttore £350....perhaps need to search the corners of the piggy bank...

thanks for all the useful advice...must admit my "old" saw has a laser but have never used it....
FFX was the cheapest when I was looking. A little over £300 all in at the time. Excellent value really considering all factors.

The list so far:-

-Bosch GCM 8 SJL
-Ryobi EMS254L Compact Sliding Mitre Saw, 254 mm, 2000 W
-Hitachi C8FSE Slide Compound Mitre Saw 216mm 240V 1050W
-Makita LS1018

I have the dewalt mitre saw which instead of a laser, has a bright led light at the top/rear of the blade. This produces a string shadow exactly the width of the blade and is always correct whatever the angle of the blade. I find it worth having to line up the cut. Ive never trusted the lasers that soem saws have, for accuracy and would just use the stationary technique, or take a nibble and adjust.

We have the dewalt 717 at work with the light on it that robin has mentioned, it's by far the best system if you don't want to bring the blade down to align the cut - you can actually see the shadows of the carbide tips on the blade on the wood.

I would venture the opinion that this is a case of what is the tool for?

If it's for general crosscutting with carpentry/joinery grade mitres and accuracy then a Compound Slide Mitre Saw is the best tool for the job.
If it's for bob-on accurate work then definitely DONT get one that slides/glides. None of the ones I've ever used are accurate enough for furniture making without finishing the mitres some other way (shooting board, block plane etc)

The chop-saw style are MUCh more accurate as a rule. Obviously they lack the flexibility but as everyone knows there is no such thing as GOOD do it all tool.

Hi and thanks again for the advice .....main purpose is general use....don't think I will ever be making furniture.

Back