Mitre saw chewing through brushes - repair or replace?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve had an Evolution Rage S3 Sliding Compount Mitre Saw which I’ve had for years but recently it’s been burning through bushes and running rough (loud, rumbling, sparks)

So any ideas on what I can to to repair this? Or is it a replace job?

If replacing it could be a time to buy something decent , I don’t want to spend a fortune so £300 ish secondhand budget would be ok. Any recommendations?

Sounds as though the armature is defective, most likely a shorted turn, although there is a chance it might just be that the commutator needs skimming and undercutting.

I guess because you are asking the question you don't have a decent OHM Meter, if you can get it to someone who has one they can check the windings resistance (usually between each 11 segment group) or place it on a Growler and check the generated voltage over a similar segment spacing.

One way a shorted turn shows up is that one or two segments show more severe pitting and burning along an edge.

I will get the casing around the motor removed tomorrow and have a good visual inspection.

Sounds like a good opportunity to upgrade :) any recommendations?

Need a sliding mitre as I often need to process wider stock.

Well I have the Big Bosch, which is excellent, but I suspect that it is outside your budget, even second-hand.
The Makita LS models are well thought-of, I think.
FWIW, I also have an Evolution Rage. It lives outside, under a builder's bag and I use it for cutting firewood. I think it is a smashing little machine.

You could try a commutator stick (sometimes called a brush seater/commutator cleaner) but from what you describe it sounds like a bearing has gone & is allowing the shaft to oscillate.

So I took the saw apart, gave it a good clean up, back together and no better :(

Requirements for a saw:
Double bevel
Slide
Blade size not an issue
Got to be good enough for daily use.

The big bosh does look good but not sure I need a blade that big

Thoughts on the Bosch gmc 8 sde (£354)?

The majors ls1018l looks good to. But my gut tells me the Bosch will be better

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks

I have a LS1013 and a LS1040 both very nice and accurate the only down side is no soft start.
I don't think you can go wrong with either Makita or Bosch, you need to find some where you can have a play with them both.

Pete

My new Bosch gmc 8 sde arrived today from Axminster and wow, this is quite a step up from the evolution. Everything about mot feels more accurate and refined. Thanks for the advise :)

Back