Missing part from a Progress Bench Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an old Progress bench drill but it is missing a part.

I have circled the missing part on the photo of a similar drill below:

progress.jpg

What's missing is a handle and a spindle that passes through the front of the drill (I guess that it's some sort of cam that locks the depth of the quill?) It doesn't effect the working of the drill but would be good to restore.

If anyone happens to have the same drill who could send pictures and measurements of the missing parts that would be greatly appreciated (or suggestions where I might be able to source one)?

Thanks, Col

Attachments

• progress.jpg
    progress.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 158
Just had a quick google of the drill. Cannot really see clearly from that pic. But from one on google there is a guard that attaches about in that location that can be flipped upwards to gain access to the chuck :)

There's a floorstanding, 3-phase version of that for sale in Elgin at the moment. If noone can supply photos etc., it's possible I could contact the guy and see if he would do photos. Otherwise, if we have to go that way anyway (it's 100 miles round trip) and it's not sold, could possibly take pics myself.

carlb40":vyrdf05g said:
Just had a quick google of the drill. Cannot really see clearly from that pic. But from one on google there is a guard that attaches about in that location that can be flipped upwards to gain access to the chuck :)

I've probably looked at the same pictures and I think the guard is a 'post production' addition which sits below the missing handle.

dickm":21z6eu7j said:
There's a floorstanding, 3-phase version of that for sale in Elgin at the moment. If noone can supply photos etc., it's possible I could contact the guy and see if he would do photos. Otherwise, if we have to go that way anyway (it's 100 miles round trip) and it's not sold, could possibly take pics myself.

Dick,

many thanks for the offer - would need to make sure it is the same or very similar to mine before going to any touble. I've noticed quite a bit of variation in the images of Progress drills on google. Hopefully there's another owner reading the forum - I'll update the forum with progress (no pun intended :? ) ... Col

Here are two more pictures of my Progress drill showing the 'hole' from where the handle is missing and to help find a matching drill ( there appear to be a number of variations of this drill).

drill2.jpg

drill1.jpg

Col

Attachments

• drill2.jpg
    drill2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 125
  • drill1.jpg
    drill1.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 125
That part is to lock the quill in the down position you could replace with a suitable nut and bolt and 2 slugs with a taper cut into the ends to match the diameter of the quill and use a spanner to tighten if you needed it

flh801978":2gij80zv said:
That part is to lock the quill in the down position you could replace with a suitable nut and bolt and 2 slugs with a taper cut into the ends to match the diameter of the quill and use a spanner to tighten if you needed it

thanks - that confirms what I presumed it was for. I haven't yet needed to lock the quill so can manage without , however thought it would be worth trying to source the part just for completeness of the drill. Maybe it's an excuse to get into metal work/milling and make my own :lol: ... another slippery slope to acquiring more tools!

The Progress drills were made by Fobco who then decided that they could make their own 'lightweight' version that they sold as the Fobco Star. I'll look at my Star later today and measure/photograph the quill lock components.

Misterfish

Good morning Col.

I have only just found your post and I wonder if you ever found the missing parts for your Progress No.1 ? I have just bought one with these, the floor standing version, all 146kilos of it. I'm sure my back will get bettrer, eventually.

The parts you mention are in place so I could send you a photograph of what they look like and/or I could suggest where replacements may be found.

I am very much a beginner myself and I am still collecting information so if you want to compare notes at any time, please feel free.

Back