Mini digger security

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
As you can guess from the title, im looking into security options for a mini digger. Its a takeuchi tb016, an early one, so i dont think it'll have an immobiliser etc.
Ive seen the dozer ram locks, but after looking for reviews, i found a couple of comments asking why a thief wouldnt simply knock the ram pin out.... which makes the blade can be lifted manually.
Ive seen the steering lever lock which locks the levers in opposite directions causing the digger to track in circles, but i figure youd only have to chop thru on steering lever arm under the lock to bypass it.

You can get trackers, a yearly subscription service, which can probably be jammed using a gsm jammer.... or an after market immobiliser kit?

It'll be kept on building sites or next to my workshop ( a shipping container ) so I'll have to get insurance
Does anyone here have any ideas?
Thanks, kev

As you can guess from the title, im looking into security options for a mini digger. Its a takeuchi tb016, an early one, so i dont think it'll have an immobiliser etc.
Ive seen the dozer ram locks, but after looking for reviews, i found a couple of comments asking why a thief wouldnt simply knock the ram pin out.... which makes the blade can be lifted manually.
Ive seen the steering lever lock which locks the levers in opposite directions causing the digger to track in circles, but i figure youd only have to chop thru on steering lever arm under the lock to bypass it.

You can get trackers, a yearly subscription service, which can probably be jammed using a gsm jammer.... or an after market immobiliser kit?

It'll be kept on building sites or next to my workshop ( a shipping container ) so I'll have to get insurance
Does anyone here have any ideas?
Thanks, kev
check the one on you tube(will have a root in my saved channels for you)they have two methods and found all sorts that have been blocked

https://www.youtube.com/@AutomatricsMtrack found it plus there are others on there with double/triple methods

Sorry to state the obvious but if some low life wants your machine they will find a way around most immobilisers without too much difficulty. My petrol mower was stolen recently from my shed . It was chained up with 2 heavey duty cables. All you can do is anything and everything to make it difficult. You maybe able to register it to make it difficult to resell . If it’s on a site do they have security at night to protect the site . Unfortunately a mini digger is very attractive to low life’s and will always be targeted. A lot of plant hire companies now use smart water also some police forces will allow you to register your machine with them and may be able to offer other advice. Good luck 🤞

Get in touch with C&j Supplies in Lincolnshire, they make some great locking options for telehandlers and might have something to help you out.

Thanks for the replys.
In terms of left on site, im a carpenter / general builder, so i do a house refurb / extension / loft conversion type jobs mostly on my own and often customers do not live on site.....

I'll probably end up fitting an immobiliser, a mechanical lock of whatever description is most suitable and look into trackers. Its not an expensive machine, but being older, its easier to steal, and i dont want to be buying another machine 😐

How good is smartwater? Obviously its purpose is to identify a stolen machine / kit, but is it much of a deterrent? I guess the thieves wont care, they'll be selling it on, not keeping it at home

Paint it a real bright color so it stands out and use chemical markers like Smartwater in many places, so even if it is stolen and someone tries to disguish it your ownership can be proved. Smartwater is a great product with good reviews and I used it on my landrover and many scumbags have been caught handling stolen lead as a result of Smartwater. Trackers are a good idea, but you don't want the ones that are sold as being easy to install as that defeats the purpose, often just as easy to uninstall ! What you must have is a multi level system that does not just depend upon GPS because that is very easy to block, you want other layers involved like mobile phone and a local layer so that when you get closer to you stolen digger it can be activated to deliver pin point tracking to a field operative. Some of the most simple ideas also work wonders to confuse a scumbags underdeveloped brain, they may break the ignition switch and start the vehicle but it is not hard to just fit a small two way switch that uses the oil pressure switch so that it initially starts but soon stops and this can be enough to make someone think twice because of loading it or just thinking it is not worth taking with a problem.

As above: hidden or non-obvious switch on the fuel solenoid. The oil pressure one is a very good idea but ideally make it so it won't start at all. Fit something so you can disconnect the battery easily (Anderson connector) and take it with you when you go home. See if there is somewhere you can put valves to isolate the tracks.

Work on the basis that if they cannot start and move it within three minutes of opening the door, they will go elsewhere.

Take the battery out, that's what I do with my ancient bobcat. It's got a universal key to start!

Some great tips above, thank you all for taking the time to post!
Ive now got quite a few things to do to it 😉

If the starter solenoid is easy to access you could remove it and put in a duff one. The miscreant will look in and see it there and not suspect it is a dummy. Problem is that the machine's engine compartment needs to be kept spotless or they will see that it has been played with.

Pete

Move to a better area. :dunno:
We are fairly safe here in devon, but just last week a local digger went awol.... which got me thinking.
How about having / renting a Second container so that it's stored inside.

Alex.
Eventually I'd like to build a barn, but at the mo its not an option...
I have a container as a workshop and another as a store ( no room in there at the moment and id have to see if it'd fit height wise. Tinternet says it 7.5 foot high, the container might be a touch shorter than that inside. I can probably think up something to weld onto the storage container that i can chain to slow the tealeaves down, or set in a couple of those ground anchor posts to block in the trailer

If a tracker / alarm is of use, Eddie at vanbitz is up the M5 and is the best in the security business for motorhome security?

https://www.vanbitz.com/
Taunton, not too bad👍.
Interestingly ive got a mitsubishi L200, but its not all that gutsy, so towing a 1.8t digger, buckets and trailer ( grossing about 2.6t ) makes it puff a bit! Also costs a LOT more in fuel 😑

Taunton, not too bad👍.
Interestingly ive got a mitsubishi L200, but its not all that gutsy, so towing a 1.8t digger, buckets and trailer ( grossing about 2.6t ) makes it puff a bit! Also costs a LOT more in fuel 😑
Just take the digger up the M5...

Awaits news story Cornish redneck drivers his digger up M5 in rush hour!!🤣🤣

We are fairly safe here in devon, but just last week a local digger went awol.... which got me thinking.

Eventually I'd like to build a barn, but at the mo its not an option...
I have a container as a workshop and another as a store ( no room in there at the moment and id have to see if it'd fit height wise. Tinternet says it 7.5 foot high, the container might be a touch shorter than that inside. I can probably think up something to weld onto the storage container that i can chain to slow the tealeaves down, or set in a couple of those ground anchor posts to block in the trailer
You can get hi top containers.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12524225...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just take the digger up the M5...

Awaits news story Cornish redneck drivers his digger up M5 in rush hour!!🤣🤣
😱 you called me cornish..... im not a cream tea backwards guy, i live in devon 😆😂

Yeah the workshop is a hightop, but generally they cost quite a bit.... the workshop container is only a couple of years old so was about 4k. And no, there isnt room 😆

Latest posts

Back