Metabo KGS216M first use and mini-review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggrajag

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As discussed on here previously I recently bought the Metabo KGS216M on Amazon Prime Day but I've only had chance to try it out for an hour as I've been on holiday.

Some discussion was also made here bought-a-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-t99007.html regarding blades but as it was someone else's thread I didn't want to continue there.

Mini-review
I've never used a saw like this before, or anything mitre-like, so as a complete amateur to this sort of device I had a nightmare following the woeful instruction manual and it took me an age to discover there was a transport lock which was preventing me from lifting the saw. It's obvious when you know what it's for, not so easy when you've never seen one before. Attaching the side plates and the clamp were pretty simple with a bit of common sense.

So on Sunday I dug out a few planks of pallet wood and set to testing blade alignment out in the garden, using the small dust bag for collection, along with face mask, goggles and ear defenders.

I accept that I should probably have been conducting my tests on wood that had been planed and thicknessed, as minor variances in the wood straightness will have altered my tests somewhat, but I did choose the best pieces I had to hand from a selection of dozens.

I was initially cutting a standard 0 degree cross cut then turning the offcut upside down and holding them together and checking the resultant product was still perfectly level, and then doing the same with joining 2 x 45 degree bevel cuts together to check it's perfectly 90 degrees using a proper carpenters square.

Both bevels were off using the built in gauge and it seems that I have to use 1 degree for 0 degrees and 47 degrees for 45 degrees, I don't know how to adjust this without just using the "wrong" readings but it's not a great problem, just inconvenient.

However on the cross cut I noticed that the mitre was about half a degree off and I can't fix this. The whole saw swivels left and right, as you'd expect, and clicks into place on significant numbers such as 0 and 45 but this makes it impossible to lock at half a degree as it slips and clicks back into 0 everytime. I'm not sure how much of a problem this will end up being but of course it's not perfect.

The dust collection bag did collect a lot of sawdust but the garden and mitre saw collected more, not a problem as typically I'll be using it indoors with my proper extractor.

I couldn't see the laser mark as I was outdoors and it was completely invisible. I can see it when indoors but I've not used the machine there so I can't tell it's accuracy.

The machine feels well made and the controls and slide are smooth and simple to use and it cut through the wood like butter, scarily so.

If anyone has any setup tips then I'll be happy to do a better review after the fact.

I have the KGS254 which is just a bigger version. You need to adjust the fence so it is perfectly square at the 0' position. There is a left and right side of the fence. Both of them have 2 screws you can loosen and adjust. It can take a bit of fiddling but once its set it should be good. This can only really go off if you are moving the saw about alot. If its in one spot, it really shouldn't go off. Worth checking now and again though before any expensive cuts!

For the side angled, you can adjust the hex screw which is at the back to make sure it is true 0' and 45'

Thanks Matt, appreciate your reply. I've been reading advice online and had just come to the same conclusion - I'm positive I'll need to do that. The side-angle is news to me though - I'll certainly have a look into that. Cheers!

Back