Miners.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully he is and they have found air pockets to wait for the rescuer's, also not to forget the miner on the critical list, pray he is helping him also... :(

Of one thing they can be sure if they've survived, the rescuers will move Heaven and Earth to get to them.
Fingers crossed.

Roy.

Digit":1u63i501 said:
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16070264

God help them!

Roy.

I know that every case is different but the Chile miners stuck it out for 2 months before they were freed from atrocious conditions, so lets hope that we can get to these miners a lot quicker.

God be with them

Mike

Sadly, it's just been announced that all the missing men have died. At least it would have been quick. Thoughts and prayers are with the families.

It's still a horribly dangerous business. Apparently this was only a 2'6" seam (height), albeit accessed through an adit rather than a shaft. It sounds like they hit a water pocket or an underground river (there are lots in that geology, including a large one that intersects the Severn railway tunnel and has to be continuously pumped away).

Under the circumstances of this tragedy, any pumping kit would probably have been quickly, if not instantly, overwhelmed.

What a rotten shame.

More blood for King Coal! Very sad news, all that effort and it ends in tears.

Roy.

I was 14, approaching the time when I would leave school and move out into the great big world. Our teachers were spending time preparing us for that day with lectures, visits from employers and the Youth Employment Service.
I lived in a tiny village in Berkshire, and locally jobs were non-existant. Girls were expected to take a job in shop etc as they passed the time till they married, we boys faced a booming employment market, but not locally, and National Service, so most lads expected to leave home as soon as they left school, as I did.
Part of the schools preparations for us included a visit from an exec from the recently nationalised coal industry.
He proudly explained that Britain was the power house of the world, that we exported X millions of tons of coal and extolled the great future that awaited us lads in the industry.
When he had finished he asked, 'Any questions?'
There were few so he adopted the usual stance of pointing at one and asking, 'what about you?'
And I was one of his chosen few.
My reply left him dumbstruck and my teacher grinning.
I answered. 'The day the last man man comes up for the final time will be a great day! No man should earn his living burrowing in the bowels of the Earth!'
Nigh 60 yrs on my opinion hasn't changed.

Roy.

Digit":o6dg86cg said:
I answered. 'The day the last man man comes up for the final time will be a great day! No man should earn his living burrowing in the bowels of the Earth!'

How I agree, but where would we be if men had never burrowed? Tin, coal, lead, copper, gold , etc.etc. Virtually all of our modern conveniences have been dependent on mined minerals. Heros one and all I say.

My sincerest condolences to the families.

Richard

That is so Richard, in the past, though an eyesore to many open cast is much safer, both from an accident viewpoint and longer term health.

Roy.

thomvic":tlsav7yt said:
My sincerest condolences to the families.

Richard

Hear, Hear.

Mining is not a career path that I would have wanted to pursue, and I thank God that in my part of the country it wasn't an option. Entire communities have been built on it and still rely on it. It is indeed tragic when men lose their lives just trying to to do a hard and honest day's work.

Roy

The same for me, I thank God that I have not had to go into the mines, and the same goes for my daughter who starts University on monday. What would have happened if none of these brave men,women and children had got the choice and not gone down that path. We all would be a lot worse off if they have had not had the choice to go down their.

My sincere condolences to the families and friends

Dave

Back