mineral oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick winfield

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I was looking for some mineral oil for a cutting board that iv made , looked on the internet and it was about £8 plus p/p, called into Ikea on the off chance and got some for £4.25 per bottle result

That's a decent enough price then. Citroen and the like use mineral oil for suspension and that used to be the cheapest way to buy it in any quantity. LHM I think was the type but if IKEA has it for that money then you're sorted.

Does this mineral oil smell like 3 in one ?
I can't stand the smell of it ....
David W suggests another type of mineral oil that's apparently a cow laxative (maybe horse though)
Well Ive looked everywhere and could not find it, nor anyone ever hearing of it ....agricultural supply's, vet supply's
I might go to the riding stables and look for some old timer at this stage .
I was using wd-40 on the oilstones until I ran out ...
I've since tried this stuff called K2 , 07
I use it for sharpening, and I go from water on the diamond stone, to the oilstone and back again ..
Seems to not clog the diamond whetstone atall ..Bit messy though ...but I've heard plain water is bad anyways.
It smells really bad though at first squirt, but after its not smelly after that .
I squirt the stone and walk away for about 20 seconds .
Its probably a third of the price or less than wd-40 though .

Attachments

• SAM_1673.JPG
    SAM_1673.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 182
If you are using if for Chopping Boards and anything associated with food contact it would be best to make sure it is marked as:-
Mineral Oil, - British Pharmacopoeia (BP) Grade
Latin name: Paraffinum liquidum

Veterinary or Farm supplies may not be the same purity.

There are differing grades of it, the local chemists version (such as Boots) is usually quite thick, the IKEA worktop version is somewhat thinner, there are also Lighter thinner versions still which penetrate easier/quicker on things like salad bowls.

Always used to get mine from Boots. After a few coats of oil, a homebrew mix of pure beeswax and mineral oil tops it off

Ah, mis-understood what you were using it for. Best not use suspension fluid then.

Apologies.

I'd say my stuff id kill ya first :p
Good for mixing with water tho .

By the way, What is this mineral oil in Boots called ...
Is it like Johnson's baby oil or what is it for ?.

Ttrees":3zfhnxui said:
By the way, What is this mineral oil in Boots called ...
Mineral Oil, - British Pharmacopoeia (BP) Grade

Ttrees":3zfhnxui said:
...what is it for ?.
skin care or an old fashioned Laxative, If it's not on the shelf and only in pharmacy, Pharmacist may make sure you are not just taking too much of it.

We used to have it in 5 gallon drums and mix a little sulphur powder with it to clean up the skins and put a shine on the coats of animals a few days before they went to market.

Thanks CHJ, I will be looking out for this stuff now...and probably confusing the staff in chemists and Boots stores ...
Who's in charge, and when do they come in ... (hammer)

I think you will find it more commonly called liquid parafin

Which is nothing like parafin oil

Just to clarify.. It has nothing to do, whatsoever.. with either of these things ?
file.php

file.php

Just kidding.... I get it now =D>

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 89
  • Tilly.jpg
    Tilly.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 89
I buy horse laxative, usually the cheapest way to buy it and if you can feed large quantities to a horse, I am happy with a little bit rubbed onto a chopping board.

Rorschach":2bzekdsw said:
I buy horse laxative, usually the cheapest way to buy it and if you can feed large quantities to a horse, I am happy with a little bit rubbed onto a chopping board.

+1

do you take into account the size difference between you and horse to work out the quantity required? :)

Latest posts

Back