Quantcast

Milling trees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

topchippyles

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few posts in the past but just wondered how many of the members on here either have-do mill their own timber from trees.I am involved on a couple of arborist forums and mill most of my own stuff. Really love this subject as a chippy/joiner it was always something i wanted to try cheers les

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
It always sounds a romantic idea, making a table from a tree that I have processed myself. Although lacking space, a tree and the kit I can't see it happening any time soon.

I imagine though that once it is known in your local area that you want trees, offers come in like they do with woodturning timber.

topchippyles

Established Member
Reaction score
It always sounds a romantic idea, making a table from a tree that I have processed myself. Although lacking space, a tree and the kit I can't see it happening any time soon.

I imagine though that once it is known in your local area that you want trees, offers come in like they do with woodturning timber.
I am 50/50 now marcros with my work at milling and the joinery/carpentry.The price of timber is going up by 7% year on year hence the milling side of things.Got a nice amount of slabs 4" x1m x 3-5m seasoning now and all oak/ash/beach and douglas fir

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
I am 50/50 now marcros with my work at milling and the joinery/carpentry.The price of timber is going up by 7% year on year hence the milling side of things.Got a nice amount of slabs 4" x1m x 3-5m seasoning now and all oak/ash/beach and douglas fir
I might have to come and visit one of these days then!

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a cheap as chips chainsaw mill which has paid for itself many times over and is still going strong, not furniture grade but has produced me hundreds of turning blanks FOC.

Blanks2.JPGBlanks3.JPGChainsaw Mill.JPG

Tris

What am I doing here?
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on kit for milling? I've seen a few planking millls on ebay but wondered if they are any good? Would probably have to upgrade the saw too. What size/cc?
If I won the lottery then maybe a woodmizer:)

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the size of logs you have to mill, my saw is a cheap and cheerful 62cc combined with a small mill, does what I need. There are many about now look at chainsawbars for entry level mills - as for a saw the bigger the saw the bigger the log.
Capture.JPG

topchippyles

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the size of logs you have to mill, my saw is a cheap and cheerful 62cc combined with a small mill, does what I need. There are many about now look at chainsawbars for entry level mills - as for a saw the bigger the saw the bigger the log. View attachment 90459
Rob who owns chainsawbarsuk is a good friend and understands the difference between the professional and amateur user. The one setup i still use after 4 years is a 62cc parker chainsaw which i purchased off the bay for around £70 and a chinese copy alaskan mill 36" £80 ish. I did get a 24"bar and a couple of ripping chains to add which does allow to cut larger logs. I have upgraded over time and now have a logosol M7 which i run a 48" bar for the mobile stuff and also have the woodlands HM 130 which is a nice static setup. Anyone looking to do it can get rigged up for under £200

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
woodlands HM 130 Nice kit, just cant justify it for a hobby user. Will have to stick to me chinese mill set up :unsure: for the time being.