Mft hole jig on YouTube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, except I know Peter, that's how he knows my name. I'm not suspicious of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone is particularly suspicious of Peter, he is well known, well liked and genuine within the woodworking community.

I have to agree though that the product needs to discussed in the context of its current promotion as a new device to solve a common(ish) problem. I also have no doubt that Peter will address this in his usual and friendly manner.

I question the jigs ability to be accurate enough to cut square using dogs and a rail simply because you need incredibly accurate hole spacing across a large expanse to achieve this. CNC cut tables account for this reference precision hence some will prefer it. I'm a little dubious that this can be achieved with a floating reference point and a top heavy hand drill. I can see why a hand drill is used in that a router base adapter would need to contend with the differing array of routers and would make the jig itself a lot more complex (ergo more expensive). I too think it a little over priced by about c£20 but then we need to account for the development that went into it and in that instance it's probably a bargain.

I'm curious what accuracy is achieved with a jig created table compared to a cut on a fresh MFT table.

I recently had a 8 x 4 sheet of 25mm MDF CNC'd as a bench top for my main assembly/outfeed/tracksaw table. I thought this would solve a lot of my problems regarding accurate crosscuts (I also have a set of Parf Dogs and the Veritas Bench Dogs). At first I was in crosscut heaven but then the niggles began to creep in - nothing to do with the accuracy but more to do with the amount of holes.

On an almost daily basis I was catching fingers, edges of workpieces etc in the holes. All i needed was a few well spaced holes. I for one will be buying this as soon as it's back in stock to enable me to work out the placement for crosscutting. In a commercial setting it'll pay for itself in a few weeks so I'm not too worried about the cost.

As Custard also said earlier, it'll be great for jigs and the like. I can already see two or three applications for it that will save me stacks of time, so I'm in.

And welcome Peter - like your videos.

I notice stock is still 'expected' with Axminster.

Why on earth would they launch a product with no stock expected for a least a month?

I am wondering if this would be better if it had a collar to stop the bit dropping out
and a square drive on top so the drill does not need constantly chucking to the bit

Steve

SteveF":m4u0yvq5 said:
I am wondering if this would be better if it had a collar to stop the bit dropping out
and a square drive on top so the drill does not need constantly chucking to the bit

Steve
Similar to the Blum ecodrill , if you've seen one.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

chippy1970":grqo4ily said:
SteveF":grqo4ily said:

Steve
Similar to the Blum ecodrill , if you've seen one.

not seen one before but a quick google :p

yes that design would remove a lot of hassle....IMHO

I am not knocking the kit and looks really useful
I had a cnc template made that is only 4 holes x 3 holes that utilises a 30mm guide bush on router
I can just drop the parf dogs in and move along

probably nowhere near as accurate as this system as mine is made from a material which will eventually wear

Steve

After reading on the FOG that someone had been told they should be expecting their set in June, I decided to nudge Axminster and see roughly where my backorder was in the grand scheme of things. "July" came the reply. That's about at the very least a 3 (likely 4) month lead time from when I placed the order (end of March) and they took payment. At the time the product page said expected dispatch was within 1 week! *bites lip*

Anyway, order cancelled and refund on the way. I'll likely pick up a set at a later date (hammer)

I confess I heard the same thing when I asked them at the weekend. They looked on their system and it said 130 orders waiting and stock of 100 expected in July. I feel sorry for Peter as I do feel Axminster have let him down as it really is his name on the product.

^Agreed. They've let customers down too IMHO by not conveying the lead time. I'd be a lot more forgiving being told things were going to take a lot longer rather than having to ask. Hey ho, I'll live!

That's naughty that they took the money . I might be wrong but I thought companies could only take money just before they ship to you.

Guess what was waiting for me when I got home!!!! Nope, not the guide system but a letter from Axminster informing me of the delay. so hats off to them for notifying me (an email would have been a bit more this century) on the day I cancelled my order. Funny how things work out. Anyroad, Wealden now have a good chunk of the money instead.

DiscoStu":pb62e26d said:
I confess I heard the same thing when I asked them at the weekend. They looked on their system and it said 130 orders waiting and stock of 100 expected in July. I feel sorry for Peter as I do feel Axminster have let him down as it really is his name on the product.
Especially as he is going to the effort of turning out a steady stream of videos on his website to demonstrate what the system can do.

Terry.

I was talking to Peter recently and I explained to him what Axminster had said and I told him that I couldn't wait that long as my next project is to build a mobile cutting table with systainer storage and that I wanted to use the system to build the top. Peter has very kindly invited me over to use his system to make my top whilst I wait for my system from Axminster.

You lucky git! Sorry, what a top bloke and a true gent Peter is. Just don't let him show you his Festool kit. You'll end up spending a fortune.

Back