Mft hole jig on YouTube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Just spotted this video on YouTube thought it might interest those who have mft bench's or similar. I made mine using a homemade jig and a router but this jig looks good. They're starting to sell them at Axminster apparently

https://youtu.be/5usysrkgQBo

I've seen some long winded ways of producing a custom top before now, and don't get me wrong, Peter's a clever chap in more ways than one, but this takes the biscuit for me.

Wuffles":6e3zc9g9 said:
I've seen some long winded ways of producing a custom top before now, and don't get me wrong, Peter's a clever chap in more ways than one, but this takes the biscuit for me.
Lol yeah I know what you mean. I suppose they thought it was the easiest way to get an accurate job.

I just did mine with my small router and I made a jig on my pillar drill to rout a row of holes at a time.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Neat system. I've seem various ways of making these but this looks pretty good and accurate. Also looks good quality with the bushings etc. I can see this being copied fairly soon. I will probably make one on my Bridgeport mill when I finally get it back up and running.

It does seem a little long-winded but when you think about it this allows for an incredibly accurate layout and creation of custom layouts/jigs and the only tool you need is a cordless drill. All the homemade jigs and methods I have seen have either used CNC, bench drill, or router and really only the CNC provides the high accuracy unless you are really good with your bench drill.

This jig system won't wear out, can be used over and over again for all kinds of setups and you do also get 2 nice quality rulers that can be used for other things too.

I like Peter's videos and having exchanged emails with him think he is a genuinely really nice and helpful guy. But I was getting sick and tired of him doing one video after another on the X Carve, so a video on any other topic is good news as far as I am concerned :lol: .

Terry.

A well thought out product and whilst a tad expensive, I can see where the cost is.

I agree that this is one of the most long winded ways I have ever seen to achieve an MFT clone but then it's also possibly one of the most accurate and flexible.

Would also be useful for laying out a line of dog holes on a standard work bench as well.

Wizard9999":1io5izf6 said:
I like Peter's videos and having exchanged emails with him think he is a genuinely really nice and helpful guy. But I was getting sick and tired of him doing one video after another on the X Carve, so a video on any other topic is good news as far as I am concerned :lol: .

Terry.

100% agree. I subscribe to his channel and have had numerous contacts with him - very nice fellow. I too got fed up with the X carve as it quickly became of no interest to those without an X carve. Most of his other videos interest me even when I don't have the particular tool he is reviewing.

I was relieved when he did the Bessy clamp racks and I do like this system. Not sure I can justify £100 for it? £75 would have felt about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have an MFT/3 so this jig doesn't really appeal to me.
For people that will want to knock out MFT type workbenches/tables on a regular basis it might be of interest.
But for me it wouldn't be cost effective anyway for the very limited use it would get.

Roughcut":3dttwvl7 said:
I already have an MFT/3 so this jig doesn't really appeal to me.
For people that will want to knock out MFT type workbenches/tables on a regular basis it might be of interest.

There are much better (read faster, more accurate, cheaper & easier) ways to do it if you were dong more than one. In fact, if you were planning more than one, then using this device might cost you your sanity.

Drilling holes, in mdf, with a hand drill is going to get tiresome pretty quickly too. Presumably you'd need it on a sacrificial something when you drill to avoid blow-out too. How long before that drill bit is blunted on mdf.

Can't see it handling smaller items very well. CNC template all the way.

All in all, seems like a device that didn't need to be.

I was going to do something similar to this but I found a few guys on ebay who do MFT top copies so I just ordered that instead. I got a few sets of bench and rail dogs at the same time too.

The whole point of an MFT is that the holes are crazy accurate. I just couldn't see myself being able to get as close to a CNC'd top.

Just noticed it's up on the Axi site now, out of stock of course.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... tem-102278

Have to agree (after looking further) that whilst clever and flexible, this approach is incredibly laborious and I'd question the precision comparative to a CNC'd template.

EDIT: On the plus side, I imagine Peter has put his usual 100% into this and how many products are out there where the originator is easily accessible and will likely address any comments directed at it.

DiscoStu":1cliqke5 said:
I'd like to see a router based version.

I'm thinking you could make one easily with a home made router sub base, 2 parf dogs and a quality 20mm router bit?

Hi Everyone

I thought that I should drop in and offer any advice needed on the UJK Parf Guide System.

Let me just give a few bits of info:

With the PGS it takes just 10 minutes to produce a basic track saw cutting station. To make a complete custom top, like the one shown in my video, it may take 40 -70 minutes. To get to my friend with a CNC it takes 20 minutes to drive each way and he charges 50p per 20 mm hole cut. When I need a new top I have to go through the whole (or is it "hole") process again. With the PGS new tops are created with no extra cost.

Imagine you are in a field miles from nowhere. You have a pair of trestles and on them is a sheet of MDF. You also have a pair of small clamps and a drill. From the sky drops the UJK Parf Guide System and you are then able, in 10 minutes, to make a track saw cutting station that will give you near CNC accuracy. As Peter Sefton said - I used the 12" engineer's square from the Woodworkers' Workshop to prove the accuracy of the work.

I have just had a visit from one of Peter's students. He brought the rather small top of his new bench and he used the PGS to create his system of 20 mm holes - he did all of the work himself. The video has yet to be completed but it will show, again using that 12" engineer's square, a perfect setup.

I appreciate that in the context of the PGS you will see me as a trader or whatever. That is not me but I did come up with the idea and worked on the design with Axminster. They can do all the commercial stuff. For me it has been 3 years of hard work to overcome one of the most fundamental problems in woodwork - the ability to make accurate right angled cuts without a huge table saw or a CNC.

I will try and drop in as often as I can to answer any questions and I promise not to say X-Carve on this forum !

Peter

There goes the neighbourhood.

Oh, and I stand by my original comments. CNC template all the way.

Apologies, I was just clarifying that now you're here promoting* your product I'm not suddenly going to change my stance to appear polite about something I clearly don't get.

It's just "business", nothing personal :)

*Anyone else posting about a product they made as their first post would have similar suspicion laid at their door in my mind.

I get it. 100% get it. CNC for most people means getting someone else involved either to CNC you a worktop or to get a CNC template created. This system is compact and is yours to keep so you can make new slabs or holes in work benches as required.

When I first got into woodworking I'd seen some of Peters videos and I emailed him for some advice. I got back an email that was warm and friendly and full of information. Whilst I can understand people being suspicious of a first post being about their new product you only need to watch Peters videos to know he is not about selling you products. He's a woodworker who likes things "perfectly square" and whilst he has invented two products it's obvious to those who have seen the videos or his posts on the Festool owners group that these have been invented to solve a genuine problem.

I am not saying that the product is perfect or perfect for everyone but I am just saying please don't dismiss Peter because of his new invention as it's definitely been designed to help people. Obviously if you don't like it don't buy it. My own views are that I think it's a little bit overpriced and I would like to see a router version as I can see that moving from one hole to another with a "normal drill" where the chuck isn't removed could be a pain. However I'll still buy one. If I could have got one for the weekend I would have as I'm starting a big project and I know it would have been really useful. Alas Axminster are out of stock.

Latest posts

Back