Methods for squaring timber by hand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight":2b3ta4pa said:
If, on the other hand, the intended purpose for the stock you're working is to make smaller, narrower pieces (rails n styles for example) then Jacob's advise re starting as close to the finished dimensions as possible is the way to go
Or smaller wider pieces. Shape doesn't come into it.
Whatever it is, it's much easier to square up after it's been sawn to size as near as you dare go, within reason - if you are making very small things then squaring up will be easier done first - but from a piece which has been reduced to a convenient size. Unless you are doing 20"x 10' panels then squaring up those big boards will be very much easier if they are reduced first. And less wasteful.

You want to be able to see the grain of the wood before deciding where to cut. If the stock is too rough for this you may need to work it somewhat before cutting. But I wouldn't go all the way to a flat face before cutting!

Sawyer":1tn0wp63 said:
I've sometimes been amused by student projects made (at the expense of a great deal of time) with hairline clearances to drawers or doors. All well and good until the next change in the weather, whereupon everything is stuck fast!
I remember watching an excellent maker do a set of drawers for a nice little Linley writing table. I asked him what sort of fit he was aiming for with the drawers...hairline piston fit or what?
"Baggy" he said, "always make 'em baggy" and he was right as that piece was going to the West Indies :wink: - Rob

Back