Metalworking Forums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Narramore

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst I quite like the format of www.ukworkshop.co.uk I appreciate it is 99% woodwork orientated. As I have no interest whatsoever in woodworking, my interests lie with metalworking. What other metalworking forums have you found, and is in a similar vein?

Another vote for mig-welding.co.uk - a lot of the subject matter is machining rather than welding (although there's lots of welding too). Same (but different version) forum software as ukworkshop and a good bunch of helpful people.

If you could only visit one metalworking forum, it would have to be Practical Machinist.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/
Somewhat USA-centric but has a decent international user base, and a lot of the very detailed knowledgeable contributions of the type that make UKWorkshop so great to read.

I like Model Engineer, but find it can have a bit of an odd atmosphere, there's clearly a lot of very knowledgeable people on there, who are generally nice and helpful, but as someone outside the model engineering fraternity it can feel a bit stuffy sometimes.

I like Model Engineer, but find it can have a bit of an odd atmosphere, there's clearly a lot of very knowledgeable people on there, who are generally nice and helpful, but as someone outside the model engineering fraternity it can feel a bit stuffy sometimes.
I know what you mean but you have to remember these people are used to working with precision :)

There are several "general lathe" Forums which cater for different makes - e.g. Drummond, Myford (of course), Chinese Mini lathes, etc, etc.

But personally I find Youtube channels such as "This Old Tony" (just one example, but IMO excellent) very useful. Just google (etc) something like "metal working lathes" and you'll be astounded what comes up.

P.S. I do tend to agree with previous posts about the "funny atmosphere" on the Model Engineer web site, but excellent content though.

P.S. Have you looked at the list of links in this Metal Working section? They're mainly for suppliers but many of those will lead you to other more directly relevant sites.

HTH

I'm On Mig-welding as well. I can glue two bits of metal with electricity anyway. ( not pretty, but works) same username as here. I just have to visit the Model Engineers forum now, Just to see what it's like.

Latest posts

Back