Metal working files - some advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some Italian rasps a few years ago that seem pretty good. They are tiny ones which I think they called "needle rasps"!

No, not heard of Baiter before.

I'm considering (actually I lie, I am going to) upgrading my metalworking files. I have settled on getting Bahco branded tools as I am impressed by the quality. To me it's like cutters and pliers and I don't even look at anything other than Knipex for them. I'm just not sure whether to get 14" length files or 12". When I worked in the metal fabricating business all of our files were 14" and they felt right. The ones I have currently are something like JCB brand??? and much shorter than those I remember. The JCB ones are pretty rubbish even though I've looked after them. So, any ideas please?

Cheers.

Kevan

Sorry, I've never even heard of the JCB brand so I can't help you there.

Re lengths, as a very general rule, I find "the longer the better" works for me, but in reality, as you'll see from the photo of my files storage above, I have a good mix, including the odd one or two at 4 inches, quite a few 6 inches, a few 8 inches, some 10 inches, and quite a few 12 and 14 inches. An awful lot depends on what work you're going to be doing, but basically, I think you can't have too many files if you do a lot of metal fabrication and don't have a milling machine.

And don't forget the "little" Swiss and warding files too.

HTH

AES

@ woodpig:

Yeah, I got some small rasps a while ago, they were pretty cheap and seem pretty good. But I've no idea where they came from (no name on them).

The only rasps I own actually, though I do have (and sometimes use) two of those 1980's DIY Surform "files", one more or less file shaped and about 10 or 12 inches long, and a little one with a curved base.

AES

AES":3pwwrgfv said:
Sorry, I've never even heard of the JCB brand so I can't help you there.
AES

Branded as JCB (JC Bamford) the digger excavator company based up the road from me in Leek, Staffordshire. Presumably because JCB are a proven company offering quality machinery somebody in the marketing department thought it would be good to have their name put on a set of files. To be fair they are not 'that' bad. It's just that they are not as good as ones I used in industry or even when I was at school and those were well worn out :shock:

Kevan

Latest posts

Back