Nice finish metal screw caps or file down rods for circular wooden shelving?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all..

I'm building a round framed shelving unit. I was going to use brass or stainless still dowels to lock it all together.

I have reconsidered this and decided to use screws as the due the stresses on the bent boards and the fact that I will be scorching the whole thing which will cause some twisting here and there I feel screws are more realistic.

However I want to cover them so I intend to recess the holes and place a nice insert into each one. Not a problem in some senses as I could get rods and cut them and file but due to the round nature of the frame I want to reduce this workload as I intend to make a few of these shelves. Hence, screw caps. Maybe I'm over estimated the amount of extra work filing/ sanding the inserts will be and that is in fact the best option.

Any opinions would be appreciated as always.

Countersink and plug will be best finish . If you cut the pieces close to size levelling them off will be quick work
Thanks. I did want a metal plug finish though not wood as I am going to be doing a deep burn on the unit so it's almost jet black and I wanted the contrast of brass or brushed steel.

I think what I'll do is what you say and countersink and plug with timber that is NOT scorched to provide contrast and show detail. It'll still look great and appeal to a type that the metal finish wouldn't appeal to and then once I've found the right rods or whatnot I'll do that variation.

If you plug with metal after the burn - still fairly simple to file - especially a softer metal like brass/copper.
Stainless is a bit more faff

If you torch it before you plug the holes you will singe around the hole edges, and never get a clean finish, so either make it completely including plugs or use srcew covers after that are bigger than the hole.

What about mirror screws or are you looking for a flush finish. Mirror screws are available in multiple profiles and could probably be counter sunk too. Give the appearance of a metal cap

ZACUDA 24 Sets Mirror Screws Decorative Caps Cover Nails, 16mm Stainless Steel Mirror Screws Cap Nail Polished Brushed Mirror Nails Shower Screw
£11.89
Timco Screw Caps Polished Chrome 10ga 4 Pack (377KF)
£5.99
Screwfix.com
I considered that and yeah I'm look for a flush finish which I think you could achieve with them but I can't find any in the regeion of 8mm or so diameter. Shelves are only 16mm

If you torch it before you plug the holes you will singe around the hole edges, and never get a clean finish, so either make it completely including plugs or use srcew covers after that are bigger than the hole.
Thanks I hadn't considered that. I am planning on doing other versions in bare wood and just oiled and the like with different plugs. The scorched version, I was going to heavily scorch to make it almost jet black so it will have all sorts of cracks and mottling. I don't think it will be a problem...

You could use a small head screw like the tounge tite ones for floor laying, they would make your fileing quicker. I have seen cracks and shakes in a floor filled with molten lead ,it looked good but not sure if it's a good idea.

Back