metal turning lathe, help, advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mel

Established Member
Reaction score
having recently aquired a myford ml7 metal turning lathe ive got a few questions and will eventually get round to finding a forum to read up on

are there any other metal lathe turners on here ?

does anyone know where i can get a copy of ian bradleys book myford ml7 and super seven ?

where do you buy your tooling ??

can i use the lathe for wood ??

what do you make with yours ?

what woodwork related items have you made ???

looking forword to your replys

regards
mel

mel":116g4w8s said:
are there any other metal lathe turners on here ?
Yes quite a few.

does anyone know where i can get a copy of ian bradleys book myford ml7 and super seven ?
Pass for the moment will ask around.

where do you buy your tooling ??
Where ever I happen to be when I see a must have, Have a browse of "Model Engineers" or "Model Engineers Workshop" (sister Mags) for address sources. model Engineering Exhibitions are a good source of bits.

can i use the lathe for wood ??

Yes you can but it has fors and againsts,
1. acuracy.
2. dust can clog up your high tolerance fits, sticks to oiled surfaces etc. takes longer to clean it off. may get in gearboxes/gear trains etc. which won't be shielded agains dust.

A purist machinist would have you Guts for Garters if you even suggested it. :lol:

what do you make with yours ?
mainly adaptors for wood lathe modified nuts bolts etc.

what woodwork related items have you made ???

This sort of thing

smDSC01779.JPG

Alf":3h3r74li said:
...snip...
Armchair metal lathe owner :(

Just think of all those pretty little brass and bronze screws, nuts spacers, ferrules........................

Go on you know you need one............. :twisted:

Will pass on the book at the moment but may come up with something later, another good book is "The Amature's Lathe" by L.H. Sparey ISBN 0-85242-288-1 and is regarded as the model engineers bible.

Philly's links are probably your best bet, I have used them all.

Yes it can be used for woodbut watch out if sanding as the grit in the bedways will get under the saddle. Before I had my wood lathe I made a backplate to fit an axminster woodturning chuck onto the metal lathe.

I do a bit of model engineering on it and have just finished this

There are several model engineering shows around the country, much the same as woodworking shows, worth a visit for picking up tools, materials and inspiration.

Jason

Jason, I know nothing about model/metal engineering, but those pictures are spectacular - I wouldn't even imagine how you managed to make some of those parts - amazing!

CHJ":gabdfmhi said:
Alf":gabdfmhi said:
...snip...
Armchair metal lathe owner :(

Just think of all those pretty little brass and bronze screws, nuts spacers, ferrules........................

Go on you know you need one............. :twisted:
Having just looked at Jason's "Minnie" I'm even more likely to stay in the armchair. 'Mazing. =D> Way over my head too - kinda get the same feelings about it as I imagine the would-be neanderthal suffers. Interested, but cripes, where do you start?! :shock:

Cheers, Alf

alf
youve got to treat yourself to a metal lathe
you know your worth it
but be warned , it is addictive
#-o
one more reason for the missus to moan :shock:

jason b
how long did it take you to build that traction engine ???
ive seen a web site some where that has a section for stolen engines
so they must be worth some serious money
excellent work
did you start out , like me an amature , or have you had some training
ps , ive got the sparey book
as good as it is , i would like a copy of the bradley book as it comes recommended by another forum member

Mel

I started making the traction engine back in 1992 but have workrd on and off with some long periods of inactivity. I did start to keep a record of the hours spent but gave up after a while. All I know is its a lot of work for example there are 120 rivits in each back wheel (snap heads that have to be hammered over not pop rivits) and over 50 various threaded holes in the cylinder block alone.

Mine, as the name suggests is quite a small engine, 1/12th scale and is about 18" long. Some of the larger 1/3 & 1/4 scale engines can change hands for around £20,000.

I got a grade A O level in engineering theory and practice and have just picked up the rest as I go along. Have done a few stationary steam engines and am now working on a hit 'n' miss internal combustion engine.

From what I can see the book is out of print so just keep a look out on e-bay and Amazon.

Jason

nice one jason, now you should start on real engines :lol: :twisted:

must get round to posting a couple of my kits :oops:

mel. buy model engineer, it is the dogs for what you want, teach you all kind of things you did not know you needed for your myford. have to say most of their projects are for myfords so useful :roll:
paul :wink:

chas,
ive got things to do and you post a "you tube" link :D
got the same link twice
i could spend all day on there

ive had a look for the book on the above sites
one site actually wants £52.00 for a book which started out at £13.95
ebay was not much better at £40

ill keep looking

regards
mel

mel":2413gjy9 said:
chas,
ive got things to do and you post a "you tube" link :D

Sorry about that :^o

Have corrected the link by the way.
mel":2413gjy9 said:
ive had a look for the book on the above sites
one site actually wants £52.00 for a book which started out at £13.95
ebay was not much better at £40
regards
mel

I have been asking around to see if I can find a copy that is surplus but no luck so far.

Back