Metal tool chest recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for one of these to replace my saggy Stanley tool bag. It’ll be used for household jobs, wiring, plumbing and working on cars. This one caught my eye:

72A40A01-C2ED-4EE1-9F4B-1DA6E5ADDF8E.jpeg

It’s a bit big - 6 drawers would do me - but I like the removable tray and large space in the top. It also comes with fitted drawer liners, which for some reason many don’t.

It’s hard to know if these things are any good without picking them up and poking around, so does anyone have a metal tool chest that they can recommend? Somewhere around the £150 mark.

Ive had a clarke top box for 20 odd years and its still going strong.
Its got my cheaper 6 draw sat in the top of it that 15 years ild and still going strong but isnt as good as the Clarke one.

Halfords do a couple of similar graded ones. Can't recommend anything from experience but I know they regularly do big discounts as I have been interested over the years.

They have them all on display in store, it's worth checking their website and signing up for emails.

Seconded for Marcros's link. Mine is a double, floor cabinet and the one illustrated on top. Metal.is a bit light, but everything is functioning well 5-6 years later. Mine is bunged with spanners, hammers, pliers, taps and dies, all the HEAVY hand tools, so they do support weight well.

Sam

Check Halfords advanced 6 drawer chest, on offer at the moment @ £164 from £220.
I have one and it’s really top notch and a lot better quality than us pro stuff-I have these too. It’s a fair old size too, lovely soft close drawers a nice touch. Highly recommended and at the offer price an absolute steal👍

Thanks for the advice - I might go for the US pro, as they seem a bit lighter and more realistic to carry about occasionally. Wife has already latched onto this for my Christmas present...

seeing marcros's link make me wonder why some people worship at the god of snap on and their overpriced toolboxes
Haggis, Snap-on chests and tools are streets ahead in durability and ergonomics. I've got a nechanic buddy and for his daily tool use, Snap-on is the only option. He'd be buying several sets a year otherwise. For amateur use, like mine, Halfords is adequate and leisure-budget-attainable.
I do have more expensive tools...for my hybrid road bike! Keeping my gears, pedals and frame properly serviced and set up is an absolute for safety.

Sam

Go and have a play with them.
I went to machine mart to get one in the sale ( actually the roll cab ) I ended up getting the next model up in the range as it was just a bit better everywhere, some of them are not very deep at all (front to back) .
I think it was worth the extra.

Ollie

As mentioned previously, Snap-on, I can confirm these are rock solid with very smooth and solid drawer operation.
I also have some of these which are excellent, Tool Storage & Chests and one from Axminster Tools that is quite sturdy.

The key point is, don't go to what you might call DIY outlets, look for places that sell brands such as Britool, Facom, Snap-on, etc.

Last edited:
Back