• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

metal supplier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone put me in the right direction for metal? It is for the inside of door knobs I am making up so it is wood related.
The modern knob spindles are 8mm square so a 9mmx 9mm internal square tube would probably be a good fit. It will probably have to be a 1/2 tube less wall thickness which I can work out. If it is very thin wall brass tube I could probably solder on a piece of sheet to make up sufficient thickness to put a thread onto it to take a grub screw. Probably a whitworth thread as a course thread.....found metric a bit fine. Doing a little over a dozen knobs so need about 2-3 feet.

I thought brass, but steel, stainless probably, aluminium would all be adaptable. Thanks to everyone.

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of model engineer's suppliers worth investigating are Folkestone Engineering Supplies and The College Engineering Supply. I've used and would recommend both, and they will both deal in small quantities.

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
A big thank to you all for your help. I have contacted all the firms and am niow having to rethink as materials are no longer around in the sizes and so on........no decision yet though. If I come up with any revolutionery ideas I will let you know. There is always an answer!
Thanks again.