Metal Lathe identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisrider

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that there are some knowledgeable folk on here when it comes to metal tools so here goes...

I bought this lathe as a teenager, it was a great thing to learn on but It's been sitting unused for quite some time and I don't anticipate needing it anymore due to having another lathe. I want to sell it but I haven't a clue as to what make it is and what the value is. Does anybody have any idea?

Apologies for the poor photos, I can get close ups if required.

Sorry I can't help, but my dad has one exactly the same, in pieces. I recognise the tailstock.

Could be any make! as to value, it is rusty & old, it is liable to be little more than scrap value as it is, cleaned up a bit with its tooling you might see £150 - £200 on a good day.

Nope. Chekko. Got one identical. Check Lathes.co.uk and scroll down through early stuff. It was a 'bitsa' lathe made up from different components by SOAG of London in the 1920's. It was an import, possibly Checkoslovakian, hence name.

Shout if you want more.

Sam

That is a Schuchart &Schütte. The company headquarters were in Berlin...... or at least they did sell exactly similar lathes under their name. Some say the lathes were actually manufactured by somebody else.

I would have the opportunity to buy an exactly similar lathe in better condition with 3 chucks for 500 euros.... what were the adwantages and disadwantages of yours?
Can it be set up to cut screw threads?

I repeat, Chekko. Look at the last two photos on Lathes.co.uk page. Also, look at Ehrlich lathes photos on same site. I am beginning to suspect that there was a fair old bit of 'badge engineering' going on here, possibly with heimlaga's quoted source as a manufacturer, with Soag in London etc as importers or sellers-on. I read an article many moons ago that this practice was widespread in the early part of last century. Think: Volkwagen Sharan, Seat Alhambra and Ford Galaxy in this century....

Sam

PS Mine, dreadful photos sorry, can't find others:

1b4d_1.jpg

1c7d_1.jpg

Attachments

• 1b4d_1.jpg
    1b4d_1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 1c7d_1.jpg
    1c7d_1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,259
Look at the tailstock - I'd say its ehrlich, with the little counterweight on the handle. Thanks for that Sam!

Excellent, thanks for the help chaps! Looks like it's not worth selling as i'll have to give it away so i'll take some bits off and make it into a tube notcher and play around with fitting some sort of cross vice assembly so I can mill with it, at least it'll be useful.

Back