Metal detector

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a metal detector, mainly for use on the local beaches. I have absolutely no idea what to go for. Its like taking up golf, you go into the shop and are confronted with hundreds of clubs, what ones do you choose. If anyone can give me some pointers I would be really grateful.

I was looking at getting one a while ago and went onto a metal detectors forum to suss out which one to get.(still haven't got one though).

Random Orbital Bob":1y728bii said:
Out of pure curiosity...what sort of finds are typical in say a couple of hours? I have zero experience with metal detecting

Hi

It's impossible to quantify, essentially it will depend on what has been lost / discarded historically and how much of it you detect over. The choice of sites to search, (all of which you should obtain prior permission for), will make a big difference.

On my last outing I spent 3 hours detecting on a beach and found:

£1:74 in various denominations of decimal currency
A pre decimal penny
A shilling
Assorted cartridge cases
Two pieces of costume jewellery
Several lumps of lead
A dog tag
Various non descript brass and copper items
And the ubiquitous handful of ring pulls

I was using my detector in a mode which discriminates out ferrous objects so no rusty iron.

Regards Mick - Still waiting for the big one :)

Chippygeoff":3dp6bxes said:
Its like taking up golf, you go into the shop and are confronted with hundreds of clubs, what ones do you choose. If anyone can give me some pointers I would be really grateful.

Try a five iron. It will be cheaper and give you much the same results :wink:

Pete

I've bought my metal detector about 25 yrs ago. It's a C Scope Clubman 3, same as this...

Clubman_3.jpg

Very basic by today's standards, but totally reliable, seperates into small parts, and paid for itself very quickly.

The downside is the design of the handle/grip. Wrist ache after only a short time.

I would recommend a detector more like this...

MD.jpg

Much more comfortable to use over a longer period.

Whatever you get you'll wish you got one years ago.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Clubman_3.jpg
    Clubman_3.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,194
  • MD.jpg
    MD.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,194
Many thanks guys and to Spindle. I am looking at the Fisher F4 detector and waiting for an e-mail from Joan Allen. Looking at the other items on the site they are very expensive, £150 for a set of headphones, £55 for a small rucksack and £25 for a small spade. I shall look around for prices from other sites and compare.

Hi Chippygeoff

Get onto 'Detecting Wales' do some reading and ask a few pertinent questions.

But to precis my 'essential' kit:

Detector
Headphones - I use Koss UR30 as supplied with my Minelab, (about £60 new), I don't believe a lot of the hype attached to choice of headphones and I've never found the need for a volume control on them.
Pinpointer probe, (Garrett about £90), expensive on the face of it but once used you will never want to be without it.
Digging tool - for beach detecting I use a stainless steel hand trowel from a garden centre, about £10.
Finds pouch - loads of useful things on EBay for not much cash.

That's it really

For digging in pasture I use a Lesche tool, a cross between a knife and a trowel, there are other makes more readily available in UK. For digging in fields I have a stainless steel border spade from B&Q which I modified with an angle grinder to give it a vee cutting edge, (about £20)

Word of warning - detecting is addictive, (but at least once you have the basic kit there's little else to buy so quite a cheap hobby when compared to the likes of golf or fly fishing).

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back