Mesmerising

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find fire very hypnotic to look at? Having a bit of a late night burn up after tidying up the garden a little and removing a fair few bits from inside and outside of the school boiler room
20220408_214706.jpg

Yes it is and there is nothing so comforting as sitting in front of a lovely fire when there is a horizontal blizzard outside. Very primordial.

I put a woodburner into my home about 8 years ago and became an instant old man; well in the winter anyway. My joinery shop is only a minutes walk from the house. I often go back down to work after dinner at night for a few hours to write quotes, do glue-ups or just generally try to get work back on schedule. This has become a seasonal thing as in the winter it takes a titantic feat of willpower to get my @.r.s.e up from in front of the fire once I’ve had the evening meal.

Last edited:
I love my two wood burners. One made in the 1860s. Does wonders to hide screw ups.

But! I am in a fight for my life with an ex girlfriend who stole my house. (Title Theft). I think I would be better off if I strap on a pair of watermelons, a Victoria screcrets bra and a blonde wig!

I filed a motion for contempt of court. The bimbo cut up 5000 dollars of CITES certified pre ban hardwood and burned it! Rosewood, Blackwood, bubinga curly maple, figured cherry!

I sure she found the flames in my wood stove quite mezmorizing!

There is no excuse for this!

As a nipper I loved staying with relatives we used to go to for Christmas as they had an open fire..apparently they all found it quite cute that I would sit in front of it talking to it

What I miss is cutting the tenderloin out of a North American ELK, rubbing it up with salt, pepper and garlic and butter and roasting it on a stick over a fire. The smell is like nothing you can describe. The flavor ….. OHHH the flavor!!!!!!

What I miss is cutting the tenderloin out of a North American ELK, rubbing it up with salt, pepper and garlic and butter and roasting it on a stick over a fire. The smell is like nothing you can describe. The flavor ….. OHHH the flavor!!!!!!
🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤 I'm gonna be drooling over that thought all day

I think it might be a Mark Twain quote, but I find it very true when I’m sat watching the world go by:

“A person will never tire of watching 3 things: a fire burning, water running and someone else working.”

I think it might be a Mark Twain quote, but I find it very true when I’m sat watching the world go by:

“A person will never tire of watching 3 things: a fire burning, water running and someone else working.”
I'd totally agree with that, my dream is to have a waterfall and pool water feature with a fireplace in the middle, and I'd love to watch someone else make it for me 😁😁😁

Sometime late summer this year we move to Devon. The bungalow has wonderful insulation, an Air Source heat pump to underfloor heating, etc etc. Unfortunately because of the layout it is going to prove expensive, about £5/6K to install a wood burner and then it could only feed one room. It will be the first time in our 39 years of married life we will have been without an open fire or wood burner. I'm in a state of shock that is very slowly subsiding. We have decided on a firepit as a compromise.

Colin

Sometime late summer this year we move to Devon. The bungalow has wonderful insulation, an Air Source heat pump to underfloor heating, etc etc. Unfortunately because of the layout it is going to prove expensive, about £5/6K to install a wood burner and then it could only feed one room. It will be the first time in our 39 years of married life we will have been without an open fire or wood burner. I'm in a state of shock that is very slowly subsiding. We have decided on a firepit as a compromise.

Colin
I love my firepit, nothing better on a summer evening than sitting by it with a few cold beers and listen to the evening birdsong.

Propane cylinder or an unused or empty fire extinguisher, far too small to have any impact on the blaze.
Theres a blow out valve that fails in the event of fire, but from experience*, 1/2 empty canisters go off with a bigger bang.
*We used to 'dispose' of camping gas canisters in the campfire, It seemed at the time the cylinders that still had a bit of gas in them were louder when they went bang.
Basically, throw and run scenario :LOL:

Latest posts

Back