Merchants in or around North Wales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hew

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first proper post after just looking for a rather long time.

Im new to woodworking apart from in school (not that long ago) and have a made a start by building a workbench with vice and starting to slowly acquire more tools ( Im going to do a workshop tour at some point - it will be a very quick one )

So progress is happening but I'm in need of some hardwood to work on ( I was going to start by working though different joint types)

Can I have some recommendations for appropriate timber please ? and

Do you know of any timber merchants within the North Wales area, more specific I am a 20 mins inland from Rhyl.

Thanks

Huw

Hi Huw,

Welcome to the asylum!

There is a wood suppliers map at the second sticky down from the top of this forum. This should help you find what you want.

Bob

Edit: N wales seems poorly served according to the map. You may have to travel further to find what you need.

Hey Hew, fellow denbighshire-ite!

It is pretty rubbish around here for suppliers. There don't seem to be any 'proper' wood yards about but Rodger Haydock in Colwyn Bay have a timber section that goes beyond redwood. Never bought from them but I've heard their pretty helpful. http://www.haydock.co.uk/products/

I did once hear about a farm between Trefnant and Denbigh Green (on the left as you head towards denbigh) that has a big stack of Oak that had been felled, planked and was being left to air dry. No idea if they still have it or how much it is. .... or even exactly where it is, so not much of a tip, I'm afraid :oops: :lol:

Welcome to the forum! :D

I have used Dave Hoyle Hardwoods in Llangernyw in the past, but have not been there for a couple of years. He does mostly waney edge boards of native timber. Don't think he has a web site, but his number is 01745 860376. Otherwise there is the Powis Estate saw mill at Powis castle near Welshpool; I think they are on the web.

Good luck,

Mark

Hi Huw, and welcome.

I don't have anything to add in terms of suppliers I'm afraid, but I thought it would be rude not to say hello as we're in the same sort of area! I'm in a similar place in terms of experience and toolage, but feel free to drop me a line if you ever feel the need to reassure yourself that it's normal to know bu99er all :lol:

When I first started playing with some basic joints and so on, I wanted to use hardwood to get a feel for it but didn't want to waste decent slices of tree, so I posted on here asking if any of the more pro-level guys had offcuts they wanted to get rid of. May seem a little cheeky, but in fact sometimes it can cost them to get rid of offcuts, and in a business premises you don't want them in the way all the time, but what we call offcuts and they call offcuts is a world apart.... I had a lot of very kind offers (that is the way this forum tends to be). I had to travel up toward Manchester way, but visited a couple of guys and had a look around their workshops and a chat too - an enjoyable day out. Depending on what you want to be doing it may make sense for you, but if you're looking for practice wood you may even be doing someone a favour by taking some away! Can do no harm to ask :wink:

Either way, good luck with your learnings!

Sadly Wales is a bit of a desert in terms of wood suppliers, but there are a few small saw mills dotted about that seem to operate on one bloke and a mobile.

We have a couple here in upland Mid Wales..... but it's a dead spot for mobile reception where I am - no signals for miles....

Hi Hew,

The Oak Frame Timber company in St Asaph normally have some nice stuff. There's also Caerwys Sawmills. Tragically Roger Haydock in Colwyn Bay has now become Huws Gray and stock the virtually nothing.

If you want some hardwood for practicing cutting joints with, I'm sure I could clean some reclaimed vat oak up for you (we're based in Trefnant). What sort of dimensions are you after?

Ed.

I went to have a look at the Mostyn Estates Sawmill at Mostyn a few years ago - they have loads of air-dried native hardwoods.

Looking for their details I stumbled across this website which you might find useful; http://www.coetir-clwyd.com/English/index.asp

Failing that, I'm afraid that you will have to venture into civilisation and visit Irmass in beautiful Trafford Park!

:lol:

Brad

Blimey, there are some brilliant answers, and some good places to put on the merchants map too.

Its a shame about Roger Haydock, Colwyn Bay especially as I work around the corner !

Thank you for the offers of help also, ill be sorting some private messages out at some point.

Huw

This thread is four years old so I don't know if the OP is still around as he appears to have only made five posts in total.

Anyway this may still be useful for others in the North Wales area who are looking for a decent timber supplier I can definitely recommend Dave Hoyle as others have mentioned. His website is hoylehardwoods.com.

Another contact for anyone within striking distance of Rhyl is Nathan Jones on St. Asaph Avenue in Kinmel Bay. He can be contacted on 07833 944594 or 01745 353925

regards

Brian

I use Hymor Timber from Stoke on Trent,, They do Hardwoods, Softwoods and sheet materials and are very helpful. They are up in North Wales at least once a week. [email protected] or 01782 836636 ask for Leah she is really helpful.

There’s an interesting antiques place in Wrexham called Bryn y Grog;

http://www.bryn-y-grog.com/
There used to be a guy who had a large section at the back which was remaindered and reclaimed hard wood. He had a massive range at good prices, but you would never know what he would have in stock. At this stage though, it would be ideal for you to get started.

Perhaps give them a ring and see he is still there. If so, I highly recommend a trip. Alternatively, I’m in Runcorn and I’ve got some bits you can have to play with if you ever drive this way.

Back