Mercedes advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unlucky Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Following a recent rendez-vous with the side of an EDF (electricity board) van I find myself in need of a new car. As I do a very limited mileage, and can’t see the point of buying another new car when there are so many lunatics on the roads around here, I’m thinking about buying something old but reliable and the Mercedes W124 springs to mind. I was wondering if anyone here has owned one and if they could give any recommendations as to what to watch out for, particularly cam belts, head gaskets etc. The versions I’m looking at are the 300E/TE and 320E/TE.

As I expect to be spending many thousands less on the replacement car than the insurance payout, once I’ve finished arguing over the ridiculous valuation, this does of course mean that I’ll have quite a bit to put in the bank. I look to the members of this forum to show their usual restraint and not encourage me down the dark path by posting lots of pictures of shiny new tools and machinery.

There was a discussion on the board recently about the merits of buying a pickup, It’s worth noting that despite the fact that mine is a write-off there was absolutely no damage to the passenger cell despite T-boning a fully laden van at about 55kmh. Ok it bent the chassis but you should have seen what was left of the van. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt as I hit the van about 12 inches aft of the drivers door, the driver was incredibly lucky as the two front chassis members punched holes right through the side of his vehicle, lifted it up and then pushed it down a slight embankment and 50 feet into a field . Conclusive proof that God really does look out for the stupid.

a9b216d7.jpg

Thanks,

Simon
(Thinking of changing his screen name to Very Lucky Alf)

Glad to hear you are ok but it does feel good to walk away when your car,pickup/van looks like that.
My old van looked about the same when it happened to me.

Simon

Can't help, you on the old Merc's I'm afraid.

Did you have to go and mention "Pick-Up" in your post, you've left the gate wide open for a Philly gloat, I can see him now rubbing his hands together.

Back