Mens Shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I was given details of an organization in Australia called Mens Shed.

I was able to contact the local leader of a group in Lane Cove, Sydney, and I spent a very interesting and informative morning with this association of local people.

http://www.mensshed.org/

This group of people have a set up in Oz,where retired persons can go to a workshop (or other interests) and have the use of a complete set of woodworking equipment, hand tools and machinery.
This workshop and equipment at the venue I visited was funded by a retirement village organization (Uninting Church, methodists, weslanys and presbyterians which have set up a united church group)
There are other mens sheds which are funded by Rotary International also in Australia.
The facility was created to give men of retirement age a creative interest in later life that was available similar to female groups who partake with female type hobbies.
The activity is promoted by local government and other groups of people as mentioned above.

Do we have anything similar in the UK?

Mens sheds? I don't think thats very embracing for 50% of our population! I've not heard of anything similar here. Perhaps HSE/insurance would cause too many complications?

Adam

Yes we do! well sort of...

A local upper school provides access to their wood and metal work machines and tools for a couple of hours on Wednesday evenings during term time. Not a night school, there is only a technician in attendance to assist. Men (and women) bring along their own projects and use the facilities to work on them, as well as pick each others brains over problems and have a good chat. Projects undertaken this term include various bowl turnings, a porch, a rustic coffee table, a glazed teak crutch for a narrow boat roof, a motorcycle seat pan refurbishment, and several bits of furniture repair - not bad for £12 a term.

Dennis

Jorden":2wppsqgs said:
Yes we do! well sort of...Dennis

Actually you've just reminded me, my adult education college does something similar. They use the workshops which have been setup for teaching apprentices/plumbers/electricians etc during the day, and their is one person to act as a "tutor", but basically you bring in your own projects. You can use the furnace etc.

Adam

Insurance cover was obtained because the workshop I visited (and many others in Oz) was available to the Church group to cover all their activities, so if a similar group in the UK or Europe encouraged this kind of pastime that hurdle might be overcome.

However if local schools in forum members areas provided facilities as mentioned above by other members perhaps this kind of thing could be possible back home.

The local Oz group members were making toys for disabled and under other similar persons, also sales events were taking place on a regular basis which made this group self proficient with on going costs, and equipment plus site requirements were supported by the church sponsorship.

interesting concept which we seem not to really have over here because of the various legislation. the yanks also have something similar in some locations.

one of the major problems in the uk is that now so many evening classes are very expensive, particularly in london. indeed for many of us here, as we move toward that barrier of age discrimination finding services which could bring us together as groups is more and more difficult to find.
maybe we need to start a movement for facilities for the "oldies"
not just men, but women also.

actually of course a lot of this is due to the demise of many training programmes and facilities in schools and training colleges, and the disbursement of the equipment.

actually what might be an idea to float may be talking to schools which do have facilities, and seeing in the new enlightened age, we oldies could offer advice to kids and help them develop. also it might make the youngsters a little less intimidating to many .

this may well be an idea to promote.
paul

When I return to the UK this will be one of my new endeavors because what I have seen locally in Sydney would be good for the retired aged also not only promoting woodwork by the way but other interests in addition.

If only there was something like that where I live.
I just might actually make something instead of just making a bloody mess. I really need a way of making stock flat. (hammer)

It would be good if someone had the balls to do something like that in the UK. (I would like to say that I am NOT having a dig at anyone here. I realise it takes time and a lot of organising. Its just how I feel).

DW. I'm getting the impression that you're starting to enjoy yourself.

I tried to get something going locally for people who were trying to give up living on the streets, plus people really struggling such as single mothers, to learn basic techniques to make their own furniture rather than having to go into debt to purchase the basics - a table made from 3x2 and plywood, MDF bookcase or desk for the kids to do their homework on etc. Thought it would both save money and give people the chance to do something for themselves.

I took it to the council, and the trouble they made was unreal - insurance, certificates, risk assessments, one of them even said I had to fill in a police form in case I was trying to use it as a way to molest the children of single parents, which I found insulting on several levels (as if I'd allow children running around a workshop for a start). Then people would have to be allowed to claim the bus fare to get there and back, claim the transport to move finished products (but nothing was done to help them move the garbage they were buying flat-packed from Argos). In the end I gave up on it, other than to offer halp to a family who had been housed two streets along. One of them nicked two Lithium-Ion Makita drills and sold them for twenty quid in the pub :cry:

Give a beggar a bed, and he'll pay you with a louse.

That's a shame WoodStoat. At least you tried. I am convinced that the authorities of this country are out to make life as miserable as possible for the ordinary person, and they offer no real help to those who really need it.

Sort of every tuesday three or four of us meet at a friends little workshop (but its not so little )he has all the woodworking and metal working bits .
I dont like metal work the splinters are so tiny ,we make a few bits and bobs and it keeps us off the streets and out of trouble .
The wife calls it the tufty club, but then i think the wife is a bit barmy.

Back