Melting wax??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given this today off my dad,and i thought it would be suitable for melting wax to seal my blanks.
Would it be suitable with an old meat tin :?:
He says it's oldish but hardley been used.
I also have an old deep fat fryer which i thought would be ok too.

cooker.jpg

A double boiler would be better. If you go straight on the heat then I'd suggest trying to find an old 2nd hand thick bottomed saucepan. A Meat tin will eventually get holes in the bottom.

If you heat wax in a pot directly on heat it can flas ignite. Whilst spectacular it really isn't to be reccommended. Get 2 pots that fit into one another like the old glue pots and the outer one is filled with water.The melting point of wax is way below the boiling point of water so you can melt the wax in the inner one .

Pete

That's interesting, I've always heated my paraffin wax in a thick roasting tray on top of a gentle heat from a camping gas stove.

Never had any problems, but using a gentle heat is key and have always done it outdoors too, just in case.

Need to get the wax hot enough to penetrate the wood though otherwise it just cools on the outside and will flake off.

Gave up using wax in the end and resorted to endseal which was just so much quicker and easier and doesn't seem to be any less effective as far as I can tell.

Cheers, Paul :D

I use an old frying pan and a low power camping stove which will heat it well enough to melt into the wood, I ask the family for the last bits of any candles they have and this has worked well for me over the years.

Paul.J":1frezmbb said:
....I might give the double boiler a go.Seems safer.

It's going to be a big one if you are going to be able to dip your log ends in Paul.

I use a large meat tin on top of a a small hob, just need to take care with temp. setting and don't get wax too high in the fuming range.

It's best if you get it hot enough to steam off the moisture in the engrain wood though, (boil and bubble time) then as wax cools it gets drawn into a mm or so of the surface.

Yes I didn't think about the log\blank dipping thing. To be honest with an electric hob you should be safe from it igniting as long as you keep it on a moderate heat. Just be patient and let it melt slowly. When it's molten, then you can up the heat a tad and do as Chas suggests. If you where closer, I have a catering size baking tin that's always been too big for my cooker.

Thanks chaps :D
So the risk of a flash is just with the naked flame. :?:

CHJ wrote
It's going to be a big one if you are going to be able to dip your log ends in Paul.
I was only thinking of the smaller ones Chas,just rolling em,and perhaps brushing it on the bigger logs.Would that be ok,brushing that is :?:
I got some Sycamore logs the weekend which are 20" dia :shock: Just about lift em,never mind dip em :shock: :lol:

the risk is greatly reduced with an electric hob but not completely obviated. Common sense says not to leave it unattended and not to whack the heat up full blast straight away.

Thanks Tom.
I will give it a go and be carful with it.

Wizer wrote
If you where closer, I have a catering size baking tin that's always been too big for my cooker.
Wouldn't it fit in your case on your way to the bash :lol:

Back