Mega swing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Here you go PeterB, now you'll know its the same Eddie! :lol:

Today's project is an OTT swing that I've just finished making in my mother-in-laws garden for my daughter.

It all started last year, when I was going to throw out an oak plank that had cupped. Like you do, I suddenly had te stupid idea of making a swing from it and it went down hill from there! :lol:

To keep costs down, I sourced four treated poles that were lying around at the back of the yard of a local forestry company. They were bent and couldn't really be sold for retail, so I stepped in to take them off their hands. :wink:

megaswing2wl1.jpg

This was basically how I marked and cut the adjoining trench cuts.

dscf7746hn3.jpg

I could raise the poles by myself, but fortunately managed to borrow a friends mini digger to assist me.

DSCF8479.jpg

DSCF8481.jpg

Once erected, I decided that it looked to plain.

DSCF8487.jpg

So with the ever eager to help ChloeJ! :wink:

use3-1.jpg

I then made a trellis to fit either side.

use2-3.jpg

And here it finished and being used in anger!!

use.jpg

That looks so much fun.

I always wanted a slide in the house to compliment the staircase. I saw one in a book of where the stairs flick over to form a polished wood slide.
(Page 46/47 Architectural Detail by Jim xKemp and published by Eagle Editions 1988 ISBN 1-902328-23-X)
See if this image works:
DSC00448.jpg

How deep did you bury the poles to secure them from racking?

Night Train":1s7bc0gz said:

Although the poles have been pressure treated* I also coated the lower section with a bitumen based coating. I then dug the holes with the mini digger and set them in concrete. Although the post may look fairly upright in the photos, they are actually leaning in by about 200mm at the top. I figured that this would give the support that needed, and thankfully it seemed to work.
The swing is easily able to seat two adults, and it's proving to be one of te most fun things that I have to date built! :D
I've now added to oak drinks holders to sides, so that I can chill out with a beer when the weather warms up. :)

* I feel that modern timber treatment is just a token gesture.

I like the design. :)

How did you create the 'scollops' in the vertical poles? I can see you've removed most of the waste with a mitre saw... Just interested to hear what you did to finish them off. :)

OPJ":uyywsudb said:
I like the design. :)

How did you create the 'scollops' in the vertical poles? I can see you've removed most of the waste with a mitre saw... Just interested to hear what you did to finish them off. :)

I can be surprisingly accurate with an electric chainsaw!! :oops: :lol:

Night Train":23nqid19 said:
That looks so much fun.

I always wanted a slide in the house to compliment the staircase. I saw one in a book of where the stairs flick over to form a polished wood slide.
(Page 46/47 Architectural Detail by Jim xKemp and published by Eagle Editions 1988 ISBN 1-902328-23-X)
See if this image works:
DSC00448.jpg

Can you show more of the pictures of that slide/stair - I can't for the life of me work out how it works (what goes where)!?

Thanks

Miles

OT

miles_hot":2wk47hrm said:
Can you show more of the pictures of that slide/stair - I can't for the life of me work out how it works (what goes where)!?

Thanks

Miles
I had to photograph the book so it isn't the best of images but from what I can see, there is no description, the right hand stringer pivots on the leading edge of the treads. By operating some pulleys the bottom edge of the stringers are brought together causing the treads to rotate and lie flat on the now sideways stringer at an angle. Not sure what they do about the big triangular gap at the top.

I can visualise it but may have to make a model to explain it better.

Sorry about the hijack.

richburrow":1iz7pfkd said:
Fantastic job, that is on serious swing. Wicksteed would be proud of you :D :D

I really fancy building one of these at some stage. Now that's a serious swing!!!! :D

28048156_937da91471.jpg

Back