MDF Spraying for dummies ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryyggin

Reaction score
As green as green can be :shock:

What I would ideally like to do is step my game up when it comes to wardrobes as especially MDF and real wood veener ones, I do a lovely job of cutting fitting etc. (if I don't say so myself) but the finish just isn't there or as neat as I would like.

I apologise in advance as this may be a subject that has come up before but what I would like to know is the Guns I would use, primmer, paint, air compressor? Where to start really!

Also I can imagine there is a massive H&S issue as well which I will look into.

As stated I'm a complete newbie so be easy. (hammer)

Have you considered outsourcing it?

Find a local, reliable and reasonable finishers and you would immediately be stepping up your game without having to do anything.

Setting up a booth is expensive if you want to be properly compliant (and you want to be if you have employees) and ensure a top quality finish. There is also nothing worse than a poor quality spray finish.

If you're going to invest in the set up you don't want to be learning on the job. You could consider going on an SITF training course or if you're short of cash then Morrells do a free two day finishing academy but you've got to travel up to their head branch in Manchester.

–––

andthatwathat

You try speaking to hitec spray, there head office is in Maidstone.

For paint you could try Morrells, Movac, Symphony coatings.

If you can stick to water based then that simplifies booth and lighting requirements.

There are various technologies: air spray gun, probably a gravity gun for timber coatings. Spray guns cost from say £100 to £300+. A SATA 1000B is a good gun for primer and top coats with a 1.6mm tip. However you will need quite a big compressor for a spray gun.

Alternatively look at Turbines, Earlex at the DIY end, Apollo, Fuji at the mid and Graco at the top

Also there are Air assisted airless systems from £1600+vat

A good starting point is to contact a paint supplier and get a rep in to talk through options.

Back