May Blossom

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
We are a bit behind here with our growing season, so the may blossom has only just reached it's peak. But what a year! I'll risk the inevitable groan caused by a pun, and say that this year it is absolutely a- may- zing!

Here's some photos of three of the hawthorns in our hedge -

Attachments

• IMG_4028.JPG
    IMG_4028.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4031.JPG
    IMG_4031.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
We are a bit behind here with our growing season, so the may blossom has only just reached it's peak. But what a year! I'll risk the inevitable groan caused by a pun, and say that this year it is absolutely a- may- zing!

Here's some photos of three of the hawthorns in our hedge -
We've been remarking on it as well. Earlier the blackthorn was also unusually impressive.
Brian

My goodness, that's truly amazeballs. 😦

Have just read a Guardian article, that - "the light and heat of last summer promoted a healthy crop of flower buds" This combined with the chill of winter and a cool spring has given rise to the amazing blossom this year

Wow, some impressive blooms, I'd not thought about it till I saw both your beautiful pictures - for sure the unusually long and hot summer we had last year has played its part.
Further south here in Essex my viburnum has gone nuts this year and produces the most heavenly scent in the mornings and for the 1st time in 14y a Japanese acer I have has self seeded and I now have lots of saplings potted up!
20230511_093731.jpg

It’s been a bit mixed where we are: the large apple trees in our garden blossomed well but seemed gone pretty quickly. Contrastly, the magnolia tree was a slow starter but flowered well and lasted a while which is unusual for us.

We’ve a large Californian Lilac (it’s virtually a tree) which is only just budding whilst I’ve seen them fully out in the other villages.

The hawthorn and especially the cow parsley round the lanes seems to have gone berserk and is much taller than I recall in past years.

It’s been a bit mixed where we are: the large apple trees in our garden blossomed well but seemed gone pretty quickly. Contrastly, the magnolia tree was a slow starter but flowered well and lasted a while which is unusual for us.

We’ve a large Californian Lilac (it’s virtually a tree) which is only just budding whilst I’ve seen them fully out in the other villages.

The hawthorn and especially the cow parsley round the lanes seems to have gone berserk and is much taller than I recall in past years.
It's remarkable what a difference geography, altitude and weather, can make to the way things grow. Cow parsley here is a bit stunted - normally it's up to shoulder height. Our apple blossom too was over in a trice, compared to last year.
I would love to grow wisteria, which I remember growing well in Kent - but even there the blossom could be turned into a ginger mush by late frosts. The quince, that we planted over fourteen years ago has only blossomed once, and failed to produce any fruit. Yet, thankfully, other things do thrive

Back