matching stains

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamil65

Reaction score
Hi guys

My New Year's resolution this year was to start no new projects until I'd finished some old ones. One immediate consequence of this was that I restarted a piece of furniture I began a couple of years ago. It's made largely from oak, reclaimed from old furniture picked up from charity shops.
I've already made a couple of occasional tables for the same room and wanted to match the colour, which was achieved using (spirit based) Colron wood dye.

I've stained about half of the wood using this, and then ran out. Of course, EU regulations have forced manufacturers to switch to water-based stains now, and this product has been withdrawn, to be replaced by a water-based equivalent. I thought this was a disaster, but, through the magic of the Internet, I tracked down possibly the last few tins of the stuff a couple of hundred miles away & had them posted to me.

Getting to the point (sorry!) I tried using a tin of the news stuff - ostensibly exactly the same as the old stuff, and it's a completely different colour.
The original shade is brown, (Indian Rosewood), and the new shade, although the same name, is much more reddish.
It's not the effect of the wood, I have a couple of shelves that have one face done with old stain and the other face with new.
I don't think it's possible for me to re-do everything in the new colour, as it's now part assembled, and I know from experience that the dye won't "take" on any areas already touched by glue, hence I stained & then glued the main elements.

So, please could anyone advise me whether it's likely to be possible to add something to the dye to get closer to the original colour ?

In the absence of a better idea, I suppose I should try the new, water-based product, but I'm not expecting that to work out well.

Thanks

a bit of green should lessen the redness, but it is very much trial and error.

Back