Masks that work with specs!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouHolme

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum and having started some fairly basic woodworking last year, I am getting more and more interested and brave in the things I try to build!
But the one thing that I just can’t find is a mask to keep the sawdust out, but which doesn’t fug up my specs! Can anyone recommend one so I don’t have to either keep taking the mask off or lift my specs so high I am looking through the wrong bit of the lens?!
Thank you in advance

I too use the Trend Air Stealth above, once i got the fit adjusted correctly, its been great.

A point to note is that if a face mask fogs up your glasses, then its not working as a mask, since the mask must seal around your face to work correctly.

The other option is a powered respirator face shield like the JSP power cap
1612220187954.png

What sort of mask are you talking about Sachakins?
I'd imagine a non powered respirator type would need to be like a toucan's
beak for warm moist air to escape without condensing on your glasses, and even at that if you're looking downwards, it's still going to condense on cold spectacles.

I'd suggest trying to keep your specs warm if you can, this may mean a rotating a few pairs if you have them.
I have a cheap full face respirator, but it needs to be warmed by wearing it for a good while for it not to fog up even in summer months.
Saying that, I've never tried warming it on an oil rad beforehand, which wouldn't be an issue in winter.

Tom

I'm ex services (RN) joined up in 1980. We all got issued with gas masks which came with a little tub of anti fog compound. You wiped a bit of it on a soft cloth then applied it (very sparingly) to the inside face of the mask visor then polished off the excess. Brilliant stuff! But I've lost mine☹️ wonder if you can still get it? Would be great for glasses

You can get an anti-fog wipe for your specs. Basically its wax.
So you can recreate the effect by rubbing a candle on the lens and polishing it in so there are no streaks.

Or you can buy something direct from the opticians, but the candle is super cheap and youll likely have some anyway.

I have the Trend too, it was mask that changed the way I work in that I actually use a mask now because it does work and it is comfy!

I think most with a rubber face seal are good.
I normally use the type with 2 cartridges, it's a Moldex one.
But because of covid, I bought a Trend stealth for wearing to the shops. Everything else I tried fogged my glasses.
It works very well and you look a bit less like a mad nutter than the full on moldex gas mask one.

I did see a guy in Lidl wearing a jsp powercap but thought that was a bit spaceman for buying some bread.

Ollie

Last edited:
You can get an anti-fog wipe for your specs. Basically its wax.
So you can recreate the effect by rubbing a candle on the lens and polishing it in so there are no streaks.

Or you can buy something direct from the opticians, but the candle is super cheap and youll likely have some anyway.
Does wiping your specs with candles help you see in the dark? ... I’ll get my coat.

What sort of mask are you talking about Sachakins?
I'd imagine a non powered respirator type would need to be like a toucan's
beak for warm moist air to escape without condensing on your glasses, and even at that if you're looking downwards, it's still going to condense on cold spectacles.

I'd suggest trying to keep your specs warm if you can, this may mean a rotating a few pairs if you have them.
I have a cheap full face respirator, but it needs to be warmed by wearing it for a good while for it not to fog up even in summer months.
Saying that, I've never tried warming it on an oil rad beforehand, which wouldn't be an issue in winter.

Tom
1612255867450.png

£22.99 @ screwfix today

I use it in combination with this shield
1612256316575.png

Last edited:
I'm ex services (RN) joined up in 1980. We all got issued with gas masks which came with a little tub of anti fog compound. You wiped a bit of it on a soft cloth then applied it (very sparingly) to the inside face of the mask visor then polished off the excess. Brilliant stuff! But I've lost mine☹ wonder if you can still get it? Would be great for glasses

Nothing new here my dad was a DR [dispatch rider] in the Signals in WW2 1939 - 1946 and they were issued with a small metal canister , screw cap either end, one with the compound in and the other with a cloth -- used it in my M/cycle days and still have a couple somewhere !

However the other old trick for goggles was slightly damp a finger wipe over some hard soap and apply to the glass then breath upon it to remove steaks -- job done !

Regarding saliva, was it Custard who mentioned that it works quite well,
and that the dentist does so when inspecting your teeth, by wiping a finger off the inside of your mouth before wiping the wee mirror.

I think temperature must have a big part to play in all this.
Not so cozy in my un-insulated workshop unfortunatly.

Tom

I use the mask that Sandyn recommends. As Sachakins has said, if it fogs you glasses it isn't sealed properly. The flexible rubber has to warm up before it is flexible enough to conform to your face. Put on and wiggle it to good fit. After a couple of minutes wiggle it again to improve the fit. Repeat as needed but I find that after a few minutes it is sealed properly. I wear glasses and have no problems.

Thanks everyone for your responses, have had a full day in my garage with my new ‘Trend’ mask and didn’t need to take it off to unfug my specs once!

To add to the info, the 3M 7500 respirators have a downward exhale port which helps to prevent fogging. Also any decent motorbike shop will sell antifog spray that is used on the inside of visors. It lasts longer than other techniques and cheap enough.

Back