Masking tape/ double sided tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
Went down to Aldi or was it Lidl and bought 3 rolls of masking tape for £2.99....
The stuff keeps tearing, no matter how careful I try to get it off in one piece.

Anyone recommend some masking tape that is better quality?

On the subject od double sided tape.....are they all about the same?

dicktimber":1o9mv3ic said:
On the subject od double sided tape.....are they all about the same?

No, they vary a lot. Some are very thin and not much good for sticking down pieces of wood to work on. I always buy heavy duty stuff - sometimes sold for sticking down carpet.

As for masking tape, I find the blue stuff that B&Q sell pretty good (about the only decent stuff B&Q sell these days :lol: ).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Masking tape is so useful in a 'shop, but can be of very variable quality. The best stuff (Scotch or 3M?) is very tacky and quite expensive but does have a lot of 'stretch' so can be used instead of cramps (say) when gluing lipping onto an edge. The cheaper stuff can be a disappointment as it seems to break so easily and won't stick to much.

Next time I'm in B&Q I'll have a look out for their blue stuff :wink: - Rob

The stuff that looks like masking tape but doesn't stick much used to be called drafting tape and was used to stick your paper to your drawing board - I find it useful for some jobs as it comes off easily and doesn't leave a mark.

Regarding real masking tape - I'd agree that the 3M variety is good - but the best stuff I ever had also came from B&Q and was coloured - pink, purple or green, for some reason.

tekno.mage

I've found masking tape breaks when getting it off the roll is because it's old

Back