Double sided tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to hold two pieces of wood together so that i can sand them and get identical pieces. I don't want them coming apart till later, can anyone recommend a double sided tape that will do this please.

I've used whatever I had around, but would advise care. In order for the two bits not to move you need a good run of tape and the pieces squashed in a vice to ensure good contact. The problem then coms when taking apart as the surface can be pulled away when you seperate them.

Colin

A woodturning trick is to stick the two pieces together with a sheet of paper between them. It should come apart easily as the paper tears with the help of a knife or scraper inserted. Will then need sanding.

I'd recommend using NEC exhibition tape, that's the best quality double sided tape I have used yet, unlike a lot of the others it won't leave a nasty residue on the wood and won't damage the wood either.

Carpet tape is incredibly sticky and will hold work even on the lathe. Unfortunately it is a beggar to separate the pieces. I would second the suggestion of using brown paper and a hot melt glue gun.

A woodturning trick is to stick the two pieces together with a sheet of paper between them. It should come apart easily as the paper tears with the help of a knife or scraper inserted. Will then need sanding.
Yup, I've used this one myself using newspaper and pva. A green kitchen pot scrubber and water helps clean the reesidue paper/glue off

Use the superglue masking tape trick. Tape a surface on your workbench. Put tape on the underside of your workpiece . Spread some super glue on one side of a taped surface spray activator on the other taped surface and push down. The super glue holds the 2 pieces together but the masking tape can be peeled apart. Works a treat.
Cheers
Andrew

ps Make sure you don't get the super glue on any of the wood surfaces, just on the tape!!

If you have a Morissons supermarket nearby, go down the tat aisle ( everything £1) they do doublesided, packaging, masking, and duct tapes £1 each. They'll get you by. I've used the double sided for the job that you want to do no problems. Just don't try to take 5mm off in one go!😔

Not for sanding but for sticking a template to a piece for routing I grabbed some DS tape from the kids craft cupboard. I did a few test pieces to gauge how much tape I needed to keep everything secure and make sure it worked. I found i just needed a couple of pieces c 5-10cm long of 2cm wide tape held everything plenty firm.

Back