Marquette

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This piece is a marquette for larger pieces of varying sizes and forms.

It stands around 280mm high by 80 mm dia.

The idea has been in my sketch book for some time now so I thought I should get on and make some.

The base is not the intended/final base as this will be changed for textured stone. this piece being made to test out a few simple ideas/techniques so did not at this stage continue with the base.

IMG_0167edsmalla.jpg

Like the proportions of that Mark, first glance I thought the split? in the rear edge was a a cord to a well bucket and wondered why the multiple twigs rather than a stylized spindle..

Interesting, to me I see a sort of progression from several of your earlier pieces in this one and yet it is very different. Not sure how you would do the base though. The block is very contrasting which for me looks good as is.

Pete

Bodrighy":junsw145 said:
Interesting, to me I see a sort of progression from several of your earlier pieces in this one and yet it is very different. Not sure how you would do the base though. The block is very contrasting which for me looks good as is.

Pete

I quite agree. The contrast between the textured form and the smooth stone works very well for me. Looking at it, I would be tempted to think it was finished. It will be interesting to see where you take it from here.

I find it a real problem at the moment, seeing all this stuff that tempts me to be 'inspired'. I find that trying to figure out how its done and then trying to 'copy' them is blunting any drive to find my own direction. Maybe that will come when the techniques are more ingrained.

I don't, in theory, retire until next year, so lots of time! Stadivarius made his best instruments in his 80's after all.

By the way, what is the origin of the word 'marquette' in this connection? I have never heard of it except for an American town and a French explorer!!

I assume its a sort of prototype.

Hi all

thank you for your comments they are much appreciated.

Often when looking at a new idea I find it easier to make a prototype to check out the technical aspects in relation to how the wood I am using will react to certain techniques etc.

Also by making a small piece to start with I can quickly see if what I am trying to do is going to work. Often the item will look much different in the flesh than in the sketch book.

This piece is finished other than the base. But now I have ironed out a few ideas I can make a much larger varient.

Gus

I knwo what you mean about work blunting your own ability to come up with ideas. This is a natural process or at least it certainly was for me.

I would not worry too much about forcing your own work, just have fun in what you do. The rest will come in time.

Some years ago I was fortunate to meet who I consider to be the most creative mind in UK turning. I was taught to challenge what I was doing and to look at things afresh.

While I do not say I have reached the highest of standards, it has enabled me to explore and run with ideas I would never have several years ago.

Have a look at my blog and you will find details and links to Philips web site/blog etc. There are very good tutorials that show you how to think about design etc.

closesmalled.jpg

gus3049":sisejsd3 said:
By the way, what is the origin of the word 'marquette' in this connection? I have never heard of it except for an American town and a French explorer!!

Well you are part way there.

Marquette is indeed a French word meaning "scale model" and is a common/universal term used in design/sculpture for producing a small scale verison of an idea, thus giving the maker the chance to try out scale, form, techniques etc in a managable format before tackling the main works.

mark sanger":hu7bzeb4 said:
gus3049":hu7bzeb4 said:

Marquette is indeed a French word meaning "scale model" and is a common/universal term used in design/sculpture for producing a small scale verison of an idea, thus giving the maker the chance to try out scale, form, techniques etc in a managable format before tackling the main works.

Hmmm,

Interesting how language develops or words are invented. Its not in the Oxford Hachette dictionary!! Common usage I guess. With one T its 'inlaid' as in marquetry - maybe that was the original connection.

I've asked Philip to send me the PDFs as I'm a Mac user and he uses a PC. Presumably the tool isn't as important as the result!

gus3049":2vd66d4t said:
mark sanger":2vd66d4t said:
gus3049":2vd66d4t said:

Hmmm,

Interesting how language develops or words are invented. Its not in the Oxford Hachette dictionary!! Common usage I guess. With one T its 'inlaid' as in marquetry - maybe that was the original connection.

I've asked Philip to send me the PDFs as I'm a Mac user and he uses a PC. Presumably the tool isn't as important as the result!

yes it is very strange, can't say much about common usage as it is in various design and sculpture books I have. Must admit I am not knowledgable about such things/the english language as I have never been to Oxford, :D but looking at some of the words that a few years ago were slang such as "init" that have now been accepted into the dictionary I don't spend to much time depending on them.

No you are right when you say the tool does not matter over the result. Hopefully more people will come to realise this over time.

Must admit I am not knowledgable about such things/the english language as I have never been to Oxford, :D but looking at some of the words that a few years ago were slang such as "init" that have now been accepted into the dictionary I don't spend to much time depending on them.

Me neither, but we need the dictionary out here 'cos the French don't speak proper like wot we do.

gus3049":30ux4xhv said:
Must admit I am not knowledgable about such things/the english language as I have never been to Oxford, :D but looking at some of the words that a few years ago were slang such as "init" that have now been accepted into the dictionary I don't spend to much time depending on them.

Me neither, but we need the dictionary out here 'cos the French don't speak proper like wot we do.
=D> =D>

Too true me thinks the sames.

Back