MARPLES shamrock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petesky58

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my MARPLES shamrock chisels has a sorby stamp on it. None of the others have this. Any info as to why this is. Thanks

Some thirty-odd years ago I bought a lovely little saw in what was the old Penny-Farthing tool shop in Salisbury. It's a lovely little thing with a handle shape that I've used as a template since. It is marked " I Sorby" on the spine and I later found out that it has little, if anything, to do with other "Sorby" iterations - it was a trade mark apparently used by Turner, Naylor, who had a Marples-ownership connection in the 19th century.

It's a bit convoluted to explain, but there's a note in Simon Barley's 'British Saws and Saw Makers'....under Turner-Naylor, page 597.... that explains the connections in a little more detail.

Last edited:
Would this mark make the chisel older than the others.

Not certain.

According to Barley,
Turner, Naylor & Marples at Northern Tool Works, Sheffield, 1876 - 1887
Turner, & Naylor - Same address, but without the Marples, 1895 - 1907.
It is likely that these makers in other partnerships may have been in business prior to 1876.

Various names crop up repeatedly , sometimes related, sometimes not sometimes without any connection, in the 19th C tool industry.
Sorby, Turner, Marples, Tyzack etc.......
Partnerships came and went with regularity in those days.

I'll be the first to admit that there are others on this forum who know more about the history of tools, especially in Sheffield than I do.

I hope that it's a good user, given its age. A picture would help!

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply Argus. All the shamrock chisels sharpen like razors. The sorby marked one no better or worse. Cheers my friend stay safe.

Back