Marples firmer chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from a public domain (as far as I know) scanned price list on archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/wm-marples-and-sons-1928/page/13/mode/2up
mw.PNG

Note the heavy weight, the sizes (all the way down to 1/4th) and the size to the bolster.

Page 13 on the link above. Still made in 1928. Makes me curious how the bolster is attached, as the picture makes the tang look like it's butt welded. May just be intended to show it's not glazed.

Possibly Shipwright?

I'd have to go back and look again to find that - There may be some in that catalog that I linked. I have looked through a few different marples catalogs -I thought I'd found one online at one point that was 1869 or something that would give a better look at what "doing it by hand" made a need for.

1928 is pretty late, but marples really dragged it out better than most did.

The finest craftsman I know made most of the things he made in his life using a single set of marples chisels that he got somewhere around 1958 or 1960 before they gave up and went to the shiny stuff.

I'd have to go back and look again to find that - There may be some in that catalog that I linked. I have looked through a few different marples catalogs -I thought I'd found one online at one point that was 1869 or something that would give a better look at what "doing it by hand" made a need for.

1928 is pretty late, but marples really dragged it out better than most did.

The finest craftsman I know made most of the things he made in his life using a single set of marples chisels that he got somewhere around 1958 or 1960 before they gave up and went to the shiny stuff.
I'm not sure when shipwrights (as a woodworking trade started to die out with late victorian ships being made of steel.

These are Registered Pattern Mortice Chisels
Dunno, a bit light for mortice chisels. They aren't the registered pattern sash mortice chisels in the catalogue, which have thicker blades.
They'd do for trimming deep mortices (spoke sockets?) but not for chopping them out.
Near the end of the article he says "These seem to be the for-runners of the Registered Mortice chisel, with which we are more familiar today." but I've always thought of those as modern so-called mortice chisels and neither one thing nor the other

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back