Marples Boxwood B/E Chisels - available anymore?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayak23

Established Member
Reaction score
We have loads of Marples chisels in our College workshop like the ones pictured below which we've had for many a moon. Several of the popular sizes are getting a bit short now from countless re-grinds.
I can't seem to find anywhere that sells these ones anymore, they all seem to be the octagonal-style ones.
Anyone know of a source for these chisels new?
I believe it is called a Carvers-style handle.
Sorby ones are similar but we can't afford the prices sadly.
Marples_Boxwood_640.jpg

Failing that, does anyone know of a source of chisel blades, minus the handles? That way we could probably re-use the boxwood handles we have currently and fix them on the new blades.
Cheers.
:D

shhley iles do handle-less chisels I believe. It may also be worth dropping Matthew at Workshop Heaven a line- I distantly remember a comment about him getting some narex without handles for a customer.

As for the boxwood ones, good luck!

Thanks, yes I've emailed Matthew at Workshop Heaven who has been very helpful and thinks he may be able to hook me up with just the blades, if I can find out the tang-style of our current chisels and indeed, get the old handles off.

It would be nice to keep our full range we have in the same style/make.
Thanks.

Hi, Kayak23

I think a slide hammer with a clamp to hold the blade and the handle in a vice with some padding would be best, I have snapped a chisel trying to get the handle off.

Pete

Alas your Marples chisels are no longer made. Only source is Ebay or other auction like sites or even from here. Many members have tools stashed away they may exchange for a few beer tokens.

Of course you will be possibly needing a bit of refurb to blades, maybe a little rust removal but not hard to do.

Al

Back