• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Marples Bench plane red...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

bohngy

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m restoring a record vice and about to order some Roundel blue for that. At the same time, I thought I would refurb my Marples 4 Bench plane.

I wanted a “proper” enamel, so I’ve chosen Paragon paints, via a forum recommendation, but I can’t decide which colour red will be closest... Could anyone help me out?
PARAGON CLICKY!

Happy to post my results, once I have news-worthy results!

bohngy

Established Member
Reaction score
Old thread

...just found an old thread here, I’ll order the Paragon “bright red” and see how we get on...

Were they gloss or semi-gloss finishes, I wonder?

nabs

Established Member
Reaction score
can't help on the red, but just to note that although 'roundel blue' is a fair match for modern (pale blue) record, the older tools were a darker blue. I don't know what the colour code for that is, either, I'm afraid :).

bohngy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks nabs,
I realised that, this afternoon! The modern blue is a bit nauseating, think i'll go for the tri-colour fade. I could start a new line of clown tools!
I'll update with my findings, thanks for the input, nonetheless.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a look at the website but couldn't see anything as nice as old red paint allowed to mature for fifty years or so.

Orraloon

Established Member
Reaction score
011.JPG
This is my old one. The colour is likely faded a bit since new so bright red should be fine. Picked up at a market junk stall a few years back. I did intend a full restoration but as it worked well with just a sharpen and a wipe over It joined the workers on the shelf.
Regards
John

Attachments