Marmite Vase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from my post in the Holly wood post I have completed the vase. It is a Marmite moment you either love it or hate it.

This is something totally different for me but I am still playing with colour and texture.

DSCF6166%202_zpsyosrbi7i.jpg

DSCF6170%202_zpszou8piiq.jpg

DSCF6169%202_zpsswu36d5p.jpg

DSCF6168%202_zpsjb35wjpv.jpg

That's a stunning piece Dal......hats off to you. It's way beyond normal woodturning and well into the pure art category. It really works for me, great job.
Apart from just liking the form for it's own sake, you cant actually tell its wood at all, it has a ceramic feel to it. Nice.

Thank you guys.

Random Orbital Bob":29876doq said:
That's a stunning piece Dal......hats off to you. It's way beyond normal woodturning and well into the pure art category. It really works for me, great job.
Apart from just liking the form for it's own sake, you cant actually tell its wood at all, it has a ceramic feel to it. Nice.

This really is the first time I have tried this type of decoration if that is what you want to call it. While I was doing it I was not sure but the more I looked at it the more I began to like it.
I enjoyed the experimenting before putting the colour to the vase I have a load of ali squares so I painted one black and used that to try different things on the great thing is that because the paints are water based if I did not like what I saw I could wash it off and start again as long as I did it immediately

Full marks for the nerve to venture into the realms of artistic Derek, I certainly have not got the staying power to risk the frustrations of things not coming out as intended.

Regarding the piece, can only pass on a comment I received the other day, "The Boy did well" .

I tell you what Derek, make sure that gets on to the woodturning magazine forum because I'm 100% certain they'll publish it in a future magazine. That little beauty would go for £3K in Chelsea!!

That looks great Derek, you've taken it to the next level with that one, proper gallery stuff, that.

Thank you Chas.

I must confess that it is nerve racking when you start to drill into cut or even colour or texture a piece in fear that it may go wrong, a bit like the Surf and Turf one I made a little while ago it took three attempts

Random Orbital Bob":33r2u7uh said:
I tell you what Derek, make sure that gets on to the woodturning magazine forum because I'm 100% certain they'll publish it in a future magazine. That little beauty would go for £3K in Chelsea!!

I have already posted on there, I have already had more than a dozen pieces in the woodturning magazine

Yowsers, that's a real cracker of a piece Derek, absolutely stunning!

That's not woodwork, that's Alchemy! You've turned the base wood into gold!

There must be a lovely mental disconnect for anyone seeing this in the flesh for the first time. Their first thought will be that it's lustre glazed fine china - until they pick it up and find out its secret. Really, really impressive.

AndyT":122zctmf said:

There must be a lovely mental disconnect for anyone seeing this in the flesh for the first time. Their first thought will be that it's lustre glazed fine china - until they pick it up and find out its secret. Really, really impressive.

Couldn't agree more, I've no experience of woodturning but even I can see this took some doing to create.

Thank you all.

KimG":1vroygij said:
Yowsers, that's a real cracker of a piece Derek, absolutely stunning!

Having watched your video's Kim and tried and failed(I will not give up) I thought I would try something different. And to get the response like this from you is certainly an honour.

AndyT":1vroygij said:

I just wanted to try something different well for me that is and I enjoyed every moment.

Stunning! May I ask how many hours went into that piece?

Look forward to seein your future work.

Thank you guys. I am thinking on what to do next after a couple of pens I need to make.

AWG":21fpw5d3 said:
Stunning! May I ask how many hours went into that piece?

Look forward to seein your future work.

A good days work just for the turning and shaping it was the sanding that took most of the time as anyone knows the finish is only as good as the preparation. Then I took at least 2 1/2hours paining and finishing not including any drying times. But then time is not my main concern enjoying producing things is where I get the most from any piece.
I will sell this piece but have not decided how much yet

Latest posts

Back