Market cart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked would our men's shed make a small market cart.

I agreed as I have two 26" MTB tyres which would suit it.

Question I have is how to reliably and cheaply mount the wheels cantilevered to the side of the cart which will have 4x2 timber chassis and sculpted handles out the back?

Could a machinist machine some stub axles abs what size?

Could you try a car scrapyard for a couple of front stub axle assemblies?

Question I have is how to reliably and cheaply mount the wheels cantilevered to the side of the cart which will have 4x2 timber chassis and sculpted handles out the back?

Why not use the MTB axles. You would need to inset the wheels into the sides of the cart and then make two simple metal brackets to accept the ends of the axles

Can you design the frame to be able to use a long rod as a full width axle of some sort? If you have old-style cup and cone nutted wheels (not skewer) you could replace the wheel axles with a length of probably M8 (or perhaps M10) studding - that would give you stability for the wheels (You'd ideally want 2 front wheels as they are not dished). Trying to mount them separately on what would be some sort of "L shaped bracket" seems dubious given the cantilever effect of the weight of the cart structure.

PM if you want a drawing (I have done something similar before)!

What our shed did was go to a local Trailer spare parts place.
Brought a dead trailer, new wheels and spares to rebuild the axils and carriers.

Buit a hard wood frame, brass screws to suit.

Saw up two old bike frames and mount the wheels in the rear triangles. The seat tubes set horizontally could be location of handles where the seat post was?

I'm currently thinking of enlisting our neighbouring model engineering club to turn me some axles that are thick from one end with a smaller nut and bearing on the other end.

I'll take the front wheel apart and measure the clearance.

Saw this yesterday and immediately thought of this thread…..

IMG_6462.jpeg

IMG_6462.jpeg

Latest posts

Back