Makita planer in need of help !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
I lent a Makita planer to a friend - they used it and returned it about 6 weeks ago and I haven't had need to use it until today - it don't work !

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-kp081 ... rod580233/

It's really weird - it looks absolutely fine - sounds fine - blades spin and all that but it won't cut.

I sort of cuts but only when it's maxed out at 4mm (max setting) and then it just digs in and creates big divots.

It used to cut fine at about 1 or 1.5mm.

I can't see what's wrong with it - I asked a mate who's a carpenter and he said it looked fine to him but it doesn't cut.

The blades look sharp and when it does cut (divots at 4mm) they look crisp.

It doesn't look like it has been dropped and the blades look ok.

Any advice ? I've used it fine for the last 3 years....

Change the blades and hope for the best or has something else gone out of whack ?

Very very confused and feeling a bit stupid !
Thanks,
Ed

(had to trim down an oak door today with a hand plane and it was a good work out :) )

I cannot help with the fact your planer wont cut but one bit of advice is never lend tools to anyone!

I learnt this lesson the hard way several years ago - now i'm afraid that I am Mr Grumpy and never lend anything.

When you lend something the borrower never respects the tool they have borrowed because it isnt theirs.

My opinion anyway!

Rog

Sorry I cant help either, but gotta agree with dodge, I do like to help people as best I can, but will said person pay for it if it is fubar? doubt it. may not be helpful in your situation now but maybe for the future?

Couldn't agree more, nothing but aggravation to be gained from lending tools. Thats what tool hire shops are for . I learnt the hard way but I've found it much less painful to say no

Yes - I agree - that will be the last tool that I lend - I think I decided that at the time as they used it for a very very long time...

I guess I might have lost a tool but they have lost a friend...

Actually I'm not as harsh as that but the tool still needs fixing.

I guess I'll read the instructions to see if there are any other adjustments that may have been fiddled with.

I never lend hand tools btw - somehow I thought electric tools were more indestructible... oh well lesson learnt.

Ed

It does sound as though the infeed may have been damaged by being dropped - are the infeed and outfeed sections of sole in line when the depth of cut are set at zero?

If not then that may be the answer.

Rog

I know this is gonna sound bloody stupid but have the knives been turned around? Are then any knives still in it?

Roy.

Ed
It sounds like they've fiddled with the depth of cut adjustment too far.Certainly the older planers you could keep unscrewing until it came to pieces
Matt

I was a bit livid earlier but managed to just walk away from it and use a hand plane - will have a proper look tomorrow after a calming cup o' tea - thanks for the advice. Will report back if I get it working or if it becomes a rather fetching doorstop.
Ed

Yeah it works !

Took it apart and then put it back together and realised that the blades were too far back - should have thought of that.

They should have been in line/level with the main/back /fixed plate but they were much lower.

I've readjusted it now so that the blades are level with the fixed back plate and it cuts like it should.

Can only imagine that she replaced the blades and didn't use the blade holder jig to reseat them - but not quite sure why the two screws would have been undone anyway (that control the projection of the blade).

All worked out in the end - bit disappointed as I thought with all the hand planning I might have trimmed up so I could eat more over Christmas - will have to shiver it off I guess.
Thanks for the advice - Ed

Back